Chapter One

I was waiting, it seemed to be the only thing I would do.The only thing I could do. I was staring at the illuminated screen, waiting for a response. The screen lit up half of the pitch black room, the darkness just wants to swallow up the light of the screen like it did with the rest of the room. It was around three in the morning here, I didn't care, he should be getting out of practice. Over there it was five in the afternoon, if practice wasn't over he would send a small response at least. I needed to sleep, but, I felt like I had to stay up and read his response first. I knew if he didn't answer within the next few minutes, I would be sleeping. If asleep, then I would miss what seemed so important right now in the middle of the night.

     My eyes were drooping, vision getting blurry. It took a few seconds for my head to register that my body was shutting down. When this registered, I woke up, but not for long. I put down my phone besides me and rub the sleep out eyes. I can't, I just can't, not yet. I kick off the comforter and feel my way to the bathroom since I didn't take my phone to use as a flash light.

     Without much trouble, I found the bathroom door and light switch. As the light flooded the room, it burned my eyes for a few moments. I blinked a few times to make sure it was safe to open them and wouldn't sting from the sudden light. I stand in the doorway to see someone staring right back at me and mimicking my movements right to her.

     She had shoulder length maroon hair, warm brown eyes and freckles running across her face. Under her eyes, there were bags, I could tell she really wanted to go to sleep. The teen girl had messy but natural waves in her hair, she wasn't fat but she wasn't thin. In her opinion, her body was perfect, it has some fat but she also had some muscle from basketball. The basketball player in the mirror, is me.

     I stop staring at myself in the large wall sized mirror and turn the cold water on and let it run for a minute. Cold water always helps me wake up when I have to stay up. I cup the water in my hands and splash my face with it. It felt like I had a rude wake up call. I repeat this process a few times before taking my towel and wiping my face. Smiling slightly at the refreshing feeling, I turn off the light and go back to lay on my bed.

     Just as I get comfortable again, my phone decides to goes off. I scramble to find it and see what his response was. A smile sits on my face when I read it. I'm so happy for him. Hopefully, I can go back soon, it's been almost two years. I hate not being there for those happy moments. I could go out and celebrate with him or congratulate him face to face, not screen to screen.

He chose me to be the vice captain of the volleyball team.

     That, that was the reason I felt like I had to stay up. It was important, the least I can do for him is be up and respond as fast as I can. I would have preferred to wait for him by the school gates, hug him and demand he tell me everything about practice while walking to his home. I sigh, if only I was there now to tell him how happy I was for him. He's worked so hard, he loves the sport, he deserved it. Texting him I was happy for him wasn't the same since he couldn't see the smile on my face, only letters that can express no emotion.

He did? That's fantastic, Keiji!! I'm extremely happy for you! Tell me all about practice and your day~

     I hit send on my message. I'm so happy, yet, why must it hurt so much? Is it because I can't be there in person with him at one of the happiest moments in high school? My heart was aching, it felt slightly painful to breathe. I could feel tears moving their way up into my eyes, making my vision blurry and my nose run a little bit. I felt alone more than ever. It is the worst feeling ever, it was hugging me tight as if it was my skin. Keiji hasn't responded yet but I sent one more message to him before I put my phone on silent then place it on my nightstand and close my eyes. Maybe, just maybe I could get some sleep tonight before practice tomorrow.

I miss you.

- - - - - - - - -

     When sun hit my eyes, I felt like I was going to go blind, stung more than last night. Slowly I open my eyes but block the sun with my left hand. I glance at the Hello Kitty teacup clock to see the time. It was about fifteen minutes until noon, I should get up. A thought crossed my mind. I grabbed my phone to scroll all the way down from twitter notifications, to see he did respond not too long after I fell asleep. Again, a smile made its way onto my face as I read his message.

Nothing out of the ordinary happened today during classes. For practice after the announcement, practice went on as normal. Usual drills, serving, and scrimmage at the end of practice.

     Then there was another message on top of it. The message made my heart soar and ache at the same time. I want to go back, no matter how many times I think this, I cannot express this enough. This was probably the hardest two years of my life. Being away from him, no one could fill the empty feeling. Only he was capable of making the sorrow and loneliness that surrounds me shatter into pieces.

I miss you too. Now, go to sleep. I know you were up waiting for me.

     He really did know me too well. I was happy that it was Saturday; no school, no irritating popular people making up rumors. I am however looking forward to basketball practice today, we were going to scrimmage since we have enough people to do so. Normally the coaches would have us do drills and keep going over the plays with everyone on the team. Even if some of the team are benched. If they go in, they will have a general idea.

     One cannot just watch and say they know what's happening. Sure, you know the rules and understand the game but the second you go on court, everything changes. Adrenaline runs through your veins and you mind is trying to think and comprehend what's happening. The more you play, the more you know basketball. It's just so much fun when you get into the game and don't notice the remaining time.

     I shake my head to clear the thoughts about basketball, then stand up to change out of my pajamas. As much as I would love to stay in my fuzzy pants and freshman class shirt, it's not fit to practice in. I pull out basketball shorts, a sports bra and a white tank top. Now, this is the ideal outfit to practice in. Since practice isn't for another few hours, I pick up my phone and unlock it. I need to reply then wait for his response when it was morning over there.

I did and I was. Today we are scrimmaging! I can't wait and can't wait until I see you again. Hope you dreams are full of magic!

     I'm pretty sure that he's asleep since it's two am there. It wouldn't come until much later in the day. When I hear my stomach demanding food, I start to walk to the kitchen. The house is silent, which means both of my parents are gone to work leaving me alone. Sighing, I start to dig through the fridge to find something to eat find some eggs so I could at least make something for myself so I don't faint at practice. Going out to do exercise or anything active it's better to eat before hand. I know from experience it doesn't go, at all.  

A/N:

Thank you for giving this story a chance! This will be updated every Thursday afternoon. If there are spelling errors, sorry. If any of you feel like it, feel free to leave a comment, vote for the chapter or follow me!