Chapter Two

-Months later -

I need water, the team and I ran five laps around the basketball courts. I could last a few minutes without it but I would like it. Coach Sims called us into a end of practice meeting. The other girls and I all were trying to regain our breathing. I had my hands on my head to help regain air. Just as she was about to start talking, I wasn't breathing heavy anymore.

"Girls, I need to tell you something," I knew what she was going to say. I didn't say anything I waited for her to deliver the news. "Emiko, is leaving to go back to Japan." My teammates gasped in shock and looked at me. Most of their eyes got glossy about to burst into tears.

"Tomorrow, is her last practice with us."

"Can we throw a going away party?"

"What day are you leaving?"

"Emiko, no!"

"Emi! You can't leave!"

"Why didn't you tell us sooner!?"

"The team won't be the same without you."

"Girls. Girls! Calm down!" Coach shouted to gather their attention again. "Yes, we can have a going away party for her." Cheers erupted from them and quickly filled the empty gymnasium. I could tell that maybe waiting until the last day wasn't the best idea.

"Emi, when are you leaving?" My best friend, Scarlett, asked me. That's when all the sudden cheers stopped and once again I was the center of attention. I don't like having all the attention on me. It makes me want to fidget under all their stares.

"I leave on Tuesday." I mumble.

"You're what?! Why did you keep it to yourself?"

"Scar, it would've just been h-hard to tell you. I figured if I tell you a f-few hours before I left it w-wouldn't be as hard." I stutter but try to keep my voice steady. Just thinking about leaving her behind here, makes my heart tighten in regret of not telling her sooner I could feel tears welling up in my eyes for the second time today. The first time was right before practice, realizing that this would be my last scrimmage with these girls. All the emotions I've kept inside, are threatening to burst through the wall I built.

My vision was getting blurry and nose runny, again. I felt several pairs of arms come around my frame. This time, I didn't hold them back, I let them go. I knew that I wasn't the only one crying. It has been only little over two years, but I was so attached to these girls. They are my family and it hurts to know that I am leaving them behind. Maybe I could come back and visit. Sounds of crying and sniffling reached my ears, my lips formed a small smile.

"W-w w-we'll miss you, Emi!"

"So it's settled? Going away party tomorrow instead of practice?"

"Yeah!"

Coach sighed and then dismissed us. I fish out my phone out of my little gym bag and look at the time. It was five exactly, coach let us out earlier than usual. Looking at my phone, I saw a bunch of notifications but no text messages. I don't know why I had expected anything, it's still early morning there. I put my phone back in the small bag and make my way to the parking lot. Since my parents aren't home all that much, as soon as I turned 16 they got me a car and let me get my license. Scarlett was already at my car waiting. She had her dyed dark blue hair in a high ponytail while her hazel eyes stared at me. I unlocked my car and got in, she did the same. As I was pulling out, she plugged in her phone to my car radio to play 5 Seconds of Summer. I didn't mind since I did like the band a little bit.

It wasn't until a few minutes into the ride she spoke. "I'm gonna miss you." I glance at her before turning my attention to the traffic that's in front. I slowed down and stopped at the red light.

"I'm going to miss you too. What am I going to do without my basketball buddy?"

"You'll keep in touch right?" I nod, there was no way I was going to allow myself to lose contact with her. We grew so close in the short time I've been on the basketball team.

"It'll be hard but I'm sure we can manage."