Chapter Eight

After that little incident, Daiki and I played an one on one. We were catching up as we were playing. That was not an easy task seeing as I had to focus on his plays and try to steal the ball whenever it was in his possession. Trying to think of anything significant from the past few years is hard. Just from the way he talked, I knew he had changed drastically. Not for the better either, it didn't help he got stronger than I remember him being.   

If Daiki changed this much, then who knows what happened to the others. All of the Generation of Miracles competing against each other? I can't even imagine what the tournaments for basketball would even look like. But then again, I wouldn't know if they all changed unless I talked to them myself.

When it came time I had to go home, we exchanged numbers. I told him I would hopefully see him again soon. Seeing as his high school was in the area, I probably would see him more than one would like to. It was nice to see him again, but seeing as what he had become was not a plus. Sighing, I check my texts after adding his contact in. Lucky for me, Keiji had responded.  

Why are you excited for the end of the week?

I can't tell him. It would ruin everything,all of my plans. I smirk to myself before replying to him. I lock my phone, put it back in my bag and grab my basketball. I was too tired to run, I used the pent up energy to go against him. Since he was so much better than in middle school, my legs felt like jelly by the time we had stopped playing. I knew he was holding back a little bit, I could tell when looking in his eyes. Just with whatever he held back, I having difficulty keeping up with his movements. Although I may not be blessed with talent like him, I always worked my butt off at practice.

I can't tell you that :D

The walk back to my house was quiet, I liked it. I was looking all around to take in the scenery. It was so different compared to America. It's nice to walk everywhere instead of using a car to get around. I was so lost in my thoughts and memories that I almost passed my new home. It was quite easy to do since I've only seen the building twice before. A wave of curry hit my nose when I walked in the house, I couldn't wait for dinner. My stomach growled at the delicious smell, I didn't realize how hungry I was.

"Dinner's ready!" My mother announced from the kitchen, just in time. I take off my shoes and head into the somewhat clean kitchen. The house was still littered with boxes, it could take a while before all of this is unpacked and we are all settled in. I groan at the thought of unpacking the rest of my stuff

"Oh, Emiko! You are back right on time."

"Indeed I am."

"It's self serve tonight since it was a hectic day. Ah, tomorrow we are going to take a tour of that school you want to go to, Fukurodani Academy."

I weave my way through the boxes and grab a paper plate then a plastic utensil. I was so thankful that my parents didn't force me to go to a certain school and let me choose. It would've been harder to stay in Tokyo knowing that Keiji and I were so close yet so far away. I wouldn't have made plans for when I came back here. Just more painful knowing that I could meet up with him but it wouldn't be often because we would be in different schools. The thought of what could've happen made my heart tighten. 

"Thank you for letting me choose the school I go to." I thought this needed to be said. Although, we aren't close, they are still good parents. I sat down on one of the few stools that were scattered around the kitchen, and didn't wait a second longer to start eating. The food pleased my stomach as it finally has some substance it can break down instead of eating itself. 

"Where did this come from?" She asked surprised as my dad came through the door.

"If you didn't let me choose, then I wouldn't be able to see Keiji again." I say softly with a small smile on my face. He had on a 'what did I miss' expression.

"Keiji? Oh! That boy you always would be with! He goes there? Well, I'm glad you will be able to see him again after a long time. The two of you were almost inseparable."

Once I was finished eating, I stood up and threw my trash in the trash can. I nod to my mom as a thank you for cooking before going to my room. Eagerly, I face plant on my bed happy to be laying down. My muscles had started to ache from the very intense one on one with Daiki. If I could feel the pain now, that just means that it will be even worse tomorrow. Groaning I turn on my side and thought about all the walking I had to do tomorrow.

There was nothing I could do about it except suck it up. I had to practice anyways, and going against him was good work out. I had to keep it up and not lose the rhythm of practicing every day. I break out of my thoughts when I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket. Reading the text, it was full of suspicion. What's the fun of keeping a secret and not having someone suspicious?

You can't tell me? Is it that important for me not to know? Isn't it five almost six in the morning, what are you doing up? Emiko, you better not have been waiting for me.

I can't say anything because then he would get more suspicious and more questions. I huff in annoyance with the teen, I can see why he's skeptical about me not telling him. Normally, I tell him everything, well this isn't going in my favor at all. Before I choose to respond, I get up and turn on my light that was on my night stand. It illuminated all around where my bed was, perfect amount of light. I have spent so many nights just staying up and waiting for him to respond, this wouldn't be any different except we are so close and not so far away.

Keiji, there is just things I don't want to tell you. Well, at least I don't want to tell you yet.  I wasn't waiting for you!! Okay...maybe I decided to pull an all nighter, because I can?