Chapter 30

Blake set down a bowl filled with pieces ofbread and chicken he'd scrounged up for Jazz, looking at John who was eating his own food atop the counter.

John watched his brother as the other man studied him, swallowing his final mouthful of bread and reassuring him that he was fine.

A disbelieving grunt was all he got in response, but Blake did change the topic.

"So... what's his name?"

Briefly, John thought of the fun he could have with this, several names springing to mind.

' Don't you even dare.'

He barely hid the smirk, but still, he heededhis friend's wish and answered, "Jazz."

"Jazz, huh? Well are you sure Jazz is a dog?He looks more like a wolf to me..."

"No, I think he's just a husky cross-breed."

Blake still looked suspicious, narrowing his eyes at Jazz as he ate "oblivious".

"He's pretty big for a husky, John."

John rolled his eyes at this, stating with a 'well duh' tone, "And that's where cross-breed comes in."

Blake harrumphed in annoyance, clearing away various bits and pieces he'd used to make the food.

The worry at the back of John's mind itchedto be sated, "Where is everyone anyway?"

His brother stopped what he was doing for a minute, turning slowly and looking his gaze with John. "Mum and Prue are out shopping. Sean, Andrew and Dad are playing tennis. They'll be wondering where I am soon."

John nodded in reply, rolling his eyes as he watched Jazz eat ravenously. 'Gee, Jazz, anyone would think you were starved.' This comment, Jazz chose to ignore, although John got the distinct feeling that he would be given the one-fingered salute had Jazz got hands.

The cuts and bruises that decorated Jazz's pelt blended in with his biscuit coat, so thatthey were almost unnoticeable - at least, it would take very diligent searching to see them. The only obvious injury was how Jazzwould rest his rear leg and avoided putting any weight on it when he walked.

Still, since they'd arrived, it was as though a switch had been flicked, turning Jazz back into the energetic, annoying, person John had first met before he'd become involved in this mess.

His musings were interrupted by footsteps coming into the room from the patio.

"Blake, where did you go...?" The 'go' trailed away as Sean's gaze fixed onto John.His elder brother's dark eyes narrowed dangerously, his extra inches in height and broader frame made John feel tiny; he stepped backwards as if to hide behind Blake's similar mass.

"Er - John's home." 'Don't hit him.' John thought, although the desire to pick up the frying pan hanging near his head and beat Blake with it repeatedly was very difficult to ignore.

What was even harder to ignore was Jazz padding over to Sean and nuzzling his leg, emitting a pitiful whimper as he did so.

' Face, meet Palm.'

It was lucky for Jazz that Sean was an animal lover - had it been Andrew or Prue, the werewolf would have just received a kick in the behind and a stern telling off.

As Sean's dark head ducked to fuss Jazz, heasked, "What are you doing here, John?"

He gulped nervously and near audibly, but put on as brave a facade as he could muster,answering, "I live here. I can come and go whenever I want to, Sean." The quaver in his voice gave him away rather dramatically, so, of course, he tried to hide it with more words, "And that's my dog, by the way."