Chapter 1

Angela's POV

I played on the playset of my school, jumping from monkey bar to monkey bar. My small hands starting to get covered in calluses, I let go of the bar, falling down onto my butt.

I quickly get up and run over to my best friend, Luke, and take his hand, pulling him over to the slide. The huge metal slide was the one thing I haven't been on yet, Luke either.

I told Luke that we'll go down together so neither of us had to be scared to again, and we'll see how fun it actually is.

He nodded, I sat down on the edge of the slide and Luke sat down behind me, his legs on either side of mine. As I slowly went down the slide in fear, Luke came with me.

As we both got to the end, we giggled, yelling about how fun it was and wanting to go again. Suddenly the bell rang and it was time for class again.

Luke grabbed my hand as we ran to the line and stood next to each other, waiting for our teacher.

I excitedly run into the class room and grab my lunchpal, opening it up but realizing something was missing. I searched everywhere but I couldn't find my last chocolate chip cookie.

I looked over at Luke, hiding his cookie-crumb-covered face in guilt. I ran to the teacher and told her that Luke ate the last cookie Liz saved for me.

She sat Luke down and talked to him, he walked over to apologize to me but I pouted, not accepting it.

During nap time, I reach over and stole Luke's stuffed penguin that he kept in his book bag and hid it in mine. When Luke found it, I refused to hand it back and we had a small game of tug-o-war.

It ended in me pulling back and falling on my butt, holding half of the penguin in my hand. I looked up at Luke in realization and immediately started apologizing. His eyes filled with tears and glassed over.

I tried to hug him, I tried to apologize, I tried to give it back but Luke pushed me away. He wouldn't talk to me for the rest of the day which made me even more upset.

Mom picked me up from school and I immediately told her about what happened, she drove me to the toy store and we bought another penguin.

I told her that we had to give it to Luke right away so we drove to his house.

Liz let me come in and give it to him, but Luke deny even taking the penguin. I begged him but he took the penguin and threw it, running up into his room.

I snapped back into reality, looking forward to the front of the class. I checked the time to see half of the period has already passed. I started to pack up my things, waiting for the lunch bell to ring.

I quickly ran out of the class at the first sign of the buzzer. Bumping into skinny boy Hemmings and rolling my eyes.

Ever since then, Luke and I haven't been the best of friends. It was well over, 12 years ago?

I walked out the school doors to the outside yard and sat down at the table I always sit at, it's always just my friends and I.

Already at the table was my best friend Maddie and her boyfriend Ashton. Ash has just turned 19, he started high school later than the rest of us, Maddie is only 17 at the moment.

They both sat next to each other, giggling about something stupid. Seeing them together made me believe that love actually did exist.

Nah I'm just kidding, seeing them together makes me wanna throw up, its been 4 years since they've started dating and it hasn't gotten any cuter. They kinda start to get annoying with all their lovey dovey stuff.

I laugh to myself as I sit down at the table, Calum, my other best friend, sits down next to me and hands me his notebook opened to a poorly drawn picture of him in a superhero costume.

Without a word I burst into laughter, grabbing the notebook from him and enjoying its beauty.

As Calum snatched the note book back, Michael and Luke walk up and sit down with us, Luke muttering out an 'ew' while watching Ashton and Maddie swap saliva.

"What's so funny?" Michael asked, I pointed at Calum, us both rolling in our own tears from laughing.

Maddie and Ash were completely oblivious to the fact that we all stopped to stare at them stick each others tongues down their throats that when they finally came to, it was like they just got out of a coma.

Well, these are my best friends, the gang's all here. The 6 of us have been close since we were old enough to walk, basically. We all lived on the same block, went to the same schools, same parties, etc. It's like we were all brothers and sisters.

Only thankfully we weren't or there'd be a lot of complications in our friend group.

Luke was the only person at this table that I couldn't call my best friend, we were more acquaintances than anything else, ever since the penguin incident. But I can't say I hate him, I'm not that type of person.