As Red as The Lion (ONESHOT)

KEITH X READER

---------- (。・//ε//・。) ----------

The red lion relies more on instinct than technique. Keith had been told that many times. He's also realized how true this is during his battles. It's caused sometimes some friction with some members of his team, not going to name anyone, but sometimes it helped them out of a tight spot, like that one time Red had helped him form the sword for Voltron.

The red lion relies more on instinct than technique, and he learned earlier today that the saying applied to himself more than he wanted to.

"Come on, Keith! You can definitely do better than that."

He grit his teeth and clenched his sword, before dashing from his feet and trying to land a hit against the female he was training with.

To their dismay, team Voltron found out that Zarkon had his sights on earth, and earth specifically since it was the planet where his lost champion heeded from. Not to mention the new paladins for Voltron were humans this time around, so the human race held a place in Zarkon's plans, which alerted the crew.

A few weeks ago, the team ambushed one of the Golra ships that were supposed to carry prisoners all the way to a certain mine, hidden just like the quintessence factory they happened to stumble upon. To their horror, they discovered that Zarkon already had a ship fly away to earth and take a few of its inhabitants to see if they were as capable as Shiro in the ring. A few were injured, one died and another proved to be promising, but due to "rebellious behaviour", was sent to one of the mines with others after her turn in the Arena.

And just their luck, team Voltron happened to hijack the ship she was on.

The first thing Pidge did when she realized she was a human in Golra shackles was ask if there were other people with her. The girl answered that she was indeed kidnapped from earth with other people, however she was the only human on this ship due to the others being sent elsewhere, to other mines.

"And if not, they're probably being used in other ways in the capital."

The first thing Lance did when he realized that she was a pretty attractive female was ask for her name with a flirtatious smile. Hunk facepalmed himself in the background, while Keith let out a sigh.

As she rubbed her wrists softly, finally free from the handcuffs, Shiro bent down with a hand on her shoulder to ask her if they'd made her fight in the arena. She nod to his question.

"Were you injured then?"

She shook her head. "No. From what I heard I've been assigned to the mine I was heading to because of my behaviour."

"Behaviour? They sent you away because of that?" Pidge said with a raised eyebrow as she freed other prisoners.

"You'd be surprised of what I did, kid."

A few days passed since the hijacking, and instead of going home like the other prisoners, the woman decided to stay with team Voltron, and offer assistance in any way she could. And to her own surprise, she had some to offer.

It wasn't just a fluke that she was able to beat her opponent in record time in the arena. She knew what she was doing. Even presented with an alien lifeform as an enemy, she was able to defeat it quickly thanks to her excelling in the techniques of battle.

So now she's team Voltron's combat trainer, which helps the castle save a little on energy since they don't use the training robot that much anymore.

---------- (。・//ε//・。) ----------

As Keith retreated to the side with the rest of his teammates, Shiro walked towards her and saluted her before getting in a fighting stance.

As usual, sparrings between the woman and Shiro took a little while. The two weren't on the same level, but everyday Shiro was learning more and more about her little tics here and there to succeed in making her stagger, or catching her off guard. While watching them Keith tried his best to take note of where and how he was hitting but he knew very well that he couldn't really strike the same was Shiro does. He had a sword, while Shiro had a metal arm. And I'm not even talking about their build difference.