Chapter Nine - Call Me A Liar

"Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like." 

― Lao Tzu

-----

Apartment 37

Woodham

Deen Road

Lakeshore

This was the place.

The smell of damp and rot immediately invaded my senses. The dark entrance way had puddles of water here that reflected the graffitied walls and the flickering lights above. My aching muscles slowly hoisted the rucksack onto my back and I was met with the familiar strain that made me want to collapse to the ground.

I covered my nose in disgust and walked quickly over to the stairway to the third floor.

My body burned. I desperately needed to rest and get some sleep since I had run through the night but not now, not when I was so close. The stairs finally gave way to the third floor and I scanned the doors for number 37.

34...35...36...37, this is the one.

I walked slowly up to the door and let out a shuddering breath that I didn't realise I was holding. My fingers coasted the flaking paint for a moment before forming a weak fist to knock twice.

Knock, knock.

Please let me in, please answer the door.

Nothing.

I swallowed heavily and tried again with a shaking fist.

Knock, knock, knock.

Nervously I glanced down the long hallway. The building was still and silent. I could just see the warm yellow beams of the sun grazing through the dirty window at the end of the hallway.

My ears pricked as I heard creaking on the other side of the door. Slowly it opened and revealed a sleep ridden man.

"Alexa? What happened to you?" Leo's questioned, his eyebrows knotting together so deeply that it could almost be mistaken for concern.

His black hair stuck out in every direction that flopped down to cover his tired green eyes. Dark bags encircle them to make it seem like Leo had been punched repeatedly and, for all I knew, maybe he had.

The stubble that only grazed his face the last time I saw him was now starting to grow into a full on beard that only made his eyes stand out more if that was even possible.

Leo's white top was tucked a little into his grey sweats although he didn't notice it. All his attention was staring at my dishevelled form.

I coughed awkwardly, suddenly remembering myself and how bad I must have looked to him.

The Black Eagles jumper that I loved so dearly was covered in ash and dirt, my dark brown hair was tangled with twigs and leaves in the knotted strands, my eyes were red from the smoke and tearing.

All in all, I must have looked like a homeless person.

And I guess I was.

Leo's mossy green eyes flicked to every movement my body made. I could almost see the calculations that were going on in his mind, quickly eliminating any possible scenarios of my sudden appearance and noting clues in a matter of seconds.

"Hey," my voice soft in the quiet hallway. I swallowed heavily and searched for the right words to explain what had happened but nothing came out. I looked down at my feet, ashamed of my silence when the whole world was screaming around me.