Chapter 17: Dont Forget

Chapter 17

Don't Forget
-----------------------------
Jewels

I looked through the many pictures Craigslist had to offer. I've been scrolling through this website all morning while Loren maneuvered around her kitchen cooking up a breakfast before her mom woke up. It was the usual thing she did for her moms, just her way of showing she appreciates all she does as a single mother. I could only dream of the relationship Loren and her mom had. I could only dream of a mother like the one Loren has, she's s sweet woman who holds it down for her and Loren all on her own, she also was kind enough to let me stay here for a couple days.

I kept scrolling just when Loren came and dropped three empty plates on to the table. She leaned over my shoulder to look at the apartment on my screen this time. I've been through about ten of them trying to figure out what's gonna be a good fit for Em and I and what I could afford. It's only been three days since things happened but I'm on the move now, I've done nothing but look for apartments, visited a few and get my school work done. Loren has been nice enough to bring everything I need back so I could stay on track. I never saw myself slacking my senior year how I am right now but getting my life on track has become a huge priority. Not to say it's greater than graduating, but it's critical considering that's the only way I'm getting Emery.

"This one looks real nice J." Loren commented.

I looked through the location and requirements to be a tenant for the place as I nodded in agreement. "Yea it is, its just a hundred fifty more a month than the other apartment for what, a bigger bathroom and two more Windows?"

"And location, it's not so close to the hood like the last one, Emery could actually play outside at this place."

"She can play outside of the other one too, just not close to night time."

"J," Loren sighed as she walked back over to the stove to cut it off and then lean on it and look over at me. "I know you're trying to save money and I get it boo, but the judge is gonna be lookin' at all of that stuff. Location, how much you were willing to spend or can spend let me say, and if you thoroughly can hold your own. A couple hundred for a better spot and nicer look might have to happen Jewels."

I nodded my head seeing her point. I know the judge says she's practically mine in two months but social security won't just leave it right there, they're going to be on my ass day in and day out just because I'm young, so Lo's right, I need to have everything legit and together. It's just so hard to figure out what to sacrifice and what's most important, it's all just a whole fucking lot.

Just as Loren dropped a completely made plate onto the counter and started putting foil over it, her mom came into the kitchen with a big smile on her face. "Hey girls."

"Good morning Ms.Steele."

"Mornin' mama, yo plate right here." Loren pointed out.

Her mom rushed over and grabbed it off the counter before heading towards the exit of the kitchen. "Thanks baby girl, I'll see y'all later, and Jewels," she called.

I looked up from Loren's laptop with my eyebrows raised. "Yes ma'am?"

"Keep your head up honey, and go see your sister."

Just like that she left before we could get back into the conversation that we all had yesterday. They want me to go see Emery so bad, but I just can't, not right now. That's gonna hurt way too bad, not just for me, but her too.