Chapter 8

Chapter 8

As soon as Dakota reached her house, she opened the door with her spare keys, and closed the door behind her after entering. She saw her aunt sitting on a chair leaning, her head on the dining table as if she was frustrated. She heard her huff a sigh.

Her aunt was wearing a white formal shirt, which was now a little dirty with black suit pants. Dakota didn't fail to feel her aunt's distress. Shaking her a little bit, Dakota asked her aunt,

"Hey, what's wrong? Are you alright?"

Her aunt looked up, her eyes, bloodshot red from crying. She replied after a moment.

"I'm fine sweety, just a little headache that's it. And also don't judge me by my eyes, it's just that I went for job hunting and I literally struggled today, but nothing came out of it, so just a little sad. Nothing more." she ended trying to convince her niece.

"Its fine aunt Margaret, I know what you are going through right now and I can totally understand. And don't work yourself so hard that you come home with a dirty shirt." Dakota joked bringing a smile onto her aunt's face.

"Ok dear! I won't", she said chuckling.

"No but seriously Aunt Margaret, don't get carried away by these things so easily, there's a lot to come. And I know we will go through thick and thin together. But just promise me that we will be together." Dakota said while looking with expectant eyes at her aunt.

"Of course honey. You are the only thing left behind of my sister and I would do anything in my power not to lose her again. I promise to be with you, through thick and thin." her aunt promised her with a smile.

"Okay, now before we go around kissing each other, and have a romantic night, let's just cook dinner together and then we can have a movie night again or I can help you cut ads for job!" Dakota exclaimed jokingly.

"My! My! What am I gonna do with you? You sure are my sister's daughter." Margaret spoke with proudness.

"That I am my dear aunt, that I am!" said Dakota.

---------------------------------------

After they had dinner, it took them literally three hours to search ads in each and every newspaper. Margaret thought of calling it a day, but dear little persistent Dakota won't let go. According to her "each and every ad in each and every newspaper counts". So unfortunately, Margaret had to go through that tiresome night.

When Dakota's eyes started to droop, she cleaned the mess she had made and now finally she was ready to call it a night.

"Thanks the lord, I thought we were staying here until I get the news about my imaginary grandbabies." Margaret joked.

"Ha-ha! Very funny. Anyways you can sleep, as I can see your tired face, but only for today. Ill clean this mess up." Dakota said.

Her aunt grinning widely went upstairs to her room. Oh how tired she was.

I think I'm going to just rest tomorrow.

She thought to herself.

Coming back to Dakota, a few minutes later, she had the living room clean as it was before and headed to her room. Not forgetting her novel, she turned to go to the coffee table to pick up her novel, along with her phone.

She opened the door to her room and just laid on her bed facing the ceiling.

Phew! What a tiresome day.

She thought. But being with her aunt in their little happy bubble, she forgot about everything else. Her aunt was enough to complete her family, but she still thought that if her parents would be here, that would be the best.