The Evil of Salem

Evil had always existed in the world.

It hid in the depths of the ocean, in the floating clouds of the sky, in the gorgeous flowers which bloomed in a garden; but most importantly, it existed in the heart of every person. Whether it was unleashed, or kept hidden for the entirety of the beholder's lifetime, was another question altogether. Few used evil to their true potential, but those existed, and among them, were what came to be known as witches.

Witches were powerful sorceresses. They used magic for their own purposes, and their magic could only be called evil. Centuries ago, they roamed the world as they pleased, acting as simple women of a town. They did what they wanted, deceiving others and controlling them, but soon the world began to realize. They searched corners of the world for these evil sorceresses, hunting them as a profession. There was a famous story about Salem, a town in North America which began what came to be known as the Salem Witch Trials. It was said that they lynched women who they believed to be witches, burning them to banish this world of their evil and magic.

But that was just a story.

In truth, there was another tale that varied from that story. It too was about Salem, based off of the famous witchcraft trials, but it was different. It was not only about witches but rather also other evils such as the mafia, arsonists, and serial killers. This was a town filled with death, lies, and evil beyond just witchcraftery.

But evil doesn't come without good.

This town may have had its death, but it still had life. It may have had its darkness, but it still had the light which served as a beacon of hope. Those who were truly innocent of the town fought for themselves to banish the evil. Those who were not so pure fought to rid the world of good. There were those who killed the innocent; there were those who killed the evil. Everyone played a role, fighting with belief and heart as each and every town member clashed in one of the greatest fights ever to be fought.

There those who died, but there were those who survived. The story was told, passed down from generation to generation and it became, perhaps, one of the greatest stories of all time. It was the truth of Salem, of not just the witches but also others, of the lynching of townspeople. It was a story of perhaps, the most ultimate battle between good and evil of all time.

It was the story of the Town of Mayhem.

. . .

Welcome to Author Games: Town of Mayhem, a writing competition through which a story of murder, deception, and a battle between good and evil will be told. We bring you our latest efforts - an Author Games based off the popular online game known as Town of Salem [ToS].

Auditions will open on October 28th at 8 pm EST.