Two.

"One more lap Rosie! This time faster!"
I groaned inwardly muttering to myself. I was exhausted and Mike knew it.
Mike being my personal swim Coach.

"I'm exhausted, my legs feel like jelly." I whine and hope to get out of this last lap.
It didn't work, "go!" He screamed.
I was off, pushing my feet off the wall and gliding through the water. My arms lapping over my head pulling me through while my feet pushed at the water.

I held myself against the rim of the pool. Breathing hard. I ripped my goggles off my head and threw them to the side. Mike was standing above me.

"It was a good session today, but not one of your best. You seemed distracted what's up sweetie?"

I looked up to this God of a man, he generally looked concerned. His green eyes twinkled and I looked away. I didn't understand how he could look at me like that. He had seen me at my worst, a complete fatty.

-flashback-

My thighs rubbing together with sweat is enough motivation to go through with this no matter how humiliating it will be to start off with. My costume a little too tight causing bulges in the skin.
I dip my feet and the legs in the water, I feel a lot better knowing I'm covered and not on show to everyone. My goggles placed over my eyes I'm ready to swim.

2 laps and I was completely flat out, I hopped out of the pool and sat on the ledge catching my breath.

That's when Mike come over to me. "You did well today, if you can prove you want to do this I will help you?" I look up and see this brown haired, green eyed guy. "I want this" I nod but lack the eye contact. How can I look at this beaut of a man while I'm a slob.

"I'm Mike" he holds his hand out to help me up. I take it and cringe at how he struggled with the pulling me up.
"Rosie" the name still foreign to my tongue. I had only recently changed it from Amber Leigh to Rosie Marie, but Rosie for short.

-end-

"Rosie, are you there?" Mike was waving his hand in front of my face.
"Sorry Mike, things on my mind. I won't let it happen again."
"Anything I can help with?"
I shake my head and chuckle "it's just family stuff, it's okay, but thanks."
He gives a little nod before turning away.
I sigh knowing he's only trying to help, but know one knows my history and what I lack in family, I feel they would judge my Dad especially, and I can't and won't let that happen so it's just best not to tell anyone anything about poor little Rosie.

Although I've known Mike for 2 years now I still can't open up to anyone. It's just easier that way.

I was just about to leave the centre when Mike come running up to me.
"Rosie, can we talk quickly." My brow must have creased, because he took my arms in his hands and rubbed them up and down reassuringly, "Nothing bad" he laughs "it's just I was wondering, well if I could have your number? And then maybe take you out this Saturday?"

I froze. He wanted to what!? He wanted to take me? This old fatty come new slim chicken out?
My silence give him the wrong answer, and he let go of my arms. They felt oddly cold without his touch.
"It's okay Rosie I was out of line I'm just your trainer-"
"I'll go." My own words shocking the both of us. I haven't been interested in boys for a long time. So why not give it a try? I think I'm trying to convince myself though.
His smile was worth my doubt.
"Great here's my number so you can text me on your own terms." He handed my a piece of paper to which I'm so used to throwing away.
I give a 100 watt smile back and leave ready to go to work.