Chapter 4- Here

"You- You do?" Marie asked, blushing.

"I do. Do you like me back?" Jon asked, avoiding eye contact with Marie.

Marie was silent for a few seconds.

"Of course you don't. You're out of my league, how could you like an emo kid who can't even have straight eyeli-" Jon was cut off.

"I do," Marie whispered.

"W-what?" Jon asked, shocked.

"I do," Marie said, a bit louder this time.

"I don't believe y-" Jon was cut off again, this time by Marie's lips on his.

Marie pulled away. "Now do you believe me?" 

"Yes," Jon whispered.

Marie had always thought she had a different connection with Jon than with Chris and Jacob.

She was correct.

With that, they sat on her bed, Jon's head still in her lap. Eventually, they both fell asleep like that, with the light still on and Marie leaning against her bedpost.

Marie sat bolt right up in her bed. She was breathing heavily, and sweating. It was 2:03 in the morning, and Jon sleepily picked his head up from her lap. "What is it?" He mumbled.

"Nightmare." Marie said, rubbing her eyes.

"What happened?"

"My dad was p-playing at a show. There was a mistake with the stage affects, and when the fire was supposed to shoot from the flame throwers, it exploded and..." Marie trailed off.

"It's okay. I'm here for you, Marie. I always will be." Jon said, sitting up and hugging her.

"We need to get the band back together," Marie said, determination in her voice.

"Of course we do. I never really liked Black Cards or The Damned Things, to be honest."

-------------

(Time warp BACK to 4th grade. Just Marie and Andy at their house.)

"I miss the guys." Andy said, looking down at his daughter.

"I miss Uncle Patrick and Uncle Pete and Uncle Joe too." Marie said. "Are you guys going to make music together again sometime?"

"I don't know, sweetie. It's complicated." Andy answered. "How're the boys?"

"They're good, I think. Chris said his dad is making music on his own!" Marie said enthusiastically.

"Yeah." Andy was sad. He didn't hate but didn't like working in "The Damned Things", and yes, he got to see Joe, but it was missing Pete and Patrick. He was a little mad at Pete, because he was the one who called the break. And he knew how much Andy loved the band.

"Can you teach me more drums?" Marie asked.

"Sure, sweetie. Let's go upstairs."