CHAPTER - THREE

Abhisek as Shivam

kanika as  Pousani

Some days passed away

Some days passed away. It was the day when he gonna meet her after that day. The court had given the date for their case. For some reason he didn't feel to go there. But their lawyer literally forced him to go there. His presence in court was must. Finally, he agreed.

He was inside the court's premises when he saw her coming with 2 police constables. She was looking week. She had lost the glow on her face, she used to have. As her gaze fell on him, he looked away. To avoid her presence he went away. ''make sure, she will get the worst punishment ever. She ruined my son's life. Even the girl he was going to marry tried to commit suicide. Now that she is in ICU. Everything happened for this girl only'' Shivam's dad said darkly. The news of that girl came as shock for Pousani. She couldn't take the fact.

''I haven't done anything wrong'' the only word she said that time. Tear made their way. ''maine sachi main kuchh ni kia'' she begged this time. It all went effect less on his family. They asked the police to take her away n they dragged her away.

----- IN COURT----

'' have you appointed any lawyer?'' the judge asked her. For some times she remained silent. Tears were blurring her front view. She looked down n chirped a 'no'. Shivam looked at her. She was so helpless that time. She had none by her side, neither her family, friend nor her lawyer. She was all alone. The process started n soon their lawyer proofed all the charge on her. During the process, she remained silent. At last, before announcing her punishment the judge looked at her finally. She was looking so innocent. He felt something wrong by doing this.

'' do you have anything to say?'' asked the judge.

''no, I have nothing to say. I am just waiting for your judgment.'' She said tearfully looking down. Her voice was heavy. Everyone could sense that.

Moreover, the next few minutes the wall of the court witnessed another judgment where Pousani was asked to pay rs 50,000 as penalty or 6 months of prisoner's life. The choice was her. Everyone present there was shocked by the judgment. But none had to do anything. Except the judgment, there was another incident, which made all surprised. But it calmed Shivam's family down. They were all frustrated but when Pousani choose 6 months of prisoner life instead of those penalties, they became happy. But, what about Shivam? Was he happy? Don't know. He was too numb to respond.

-----PAST----

After some days, everything became normal. Pousani was too busy with her life when again their faith crisscrossed. One evening she was resting in garden when she heard a similar voice. The voice had a charm. She immediately followed the voice. A bright smile appeared on her face as she found him near her gate. She ran to her gate. He was standing there with a paper in his hand. A middle-aged woman was with him. She assumed her as his mother. Actually, their face was similar. Pousani made an innocent face n crossed the side by road as if she didn't know anything.

'' excuse me?'' she heard his voice. She felt butterfly inside her stomach. Her emotions are over flowing. She closed her eyes to suppress her excitement n turned away.

'' could you guide us for this address?'' he asked her politely while forwarding the address to her. She nodded n moved towards them. His mother smiled softly. She smiled back.

'' come with me..'' her happiness had no bound as she looked at the address. The next house was the destination. Pousani guided them. Shivam thanked her gratefully as his mother blessed her. With a bright smile Pousani turned back to leave.

'' hey, listen..'' but stopped by him only.

'' have we met before? I mean before today?''

''han, we were classmate. ''

''classmate? Where?''

'' we were in college. Same batch. Same section. Once you saved my life. Remember? Pousani Roy''

'' hey, tum?. How are you? How's your life going?'' he seemed exited to listen her. It felt so good. He was the first person who ever show excitement about her life.

'' m good. What's about you? What are you doing here?''

'' m good also. We just shifted here.'' He said with a smile.

'' okay, bye then. See you'' he put full stop on their conversation. They left the place bidding a good bye to each other.

-----PRESENT-----

-----SOME DAYS LATER-----

His trance broke as soon he heard his lawyer's voice. He looked up. His lawyer was there with some papers. Opus.. With divorce papers. It was the way out of their unwanted cum illegal marriage they had before some days.

'' sir, its time to meet her. Here are the papers.'' He handed him those papers. Shivam took them n moved away. His lawyers kept looking at him. Actually, he (his lawyer) was supposed to do this work but Shivam stopped him. He didn't know why. But he declared that he wanted to do this himself. Coming to Shivam, he crossed almost cell of the jail. The next one was her. His speed decreased. Still, he managed to reach there. N there she was, sitting in a corner. She had weared a white colored sari like prisoners do. A saffron colored shawl had covered her frame. It was a day of winter though. He looked himself. His sleeveless sweater's color was same as her. He felt something different. Some seconds flew away. She didn't looked up. Her face was on her knee looking the colorless wall of the cell. Her face had lost it's glow. Shivam cleared his throat to have her attention. She looked at him. It caused a change on her expression. She stood up immediately. Shivam looked at her. Did his presence uncomforting her? This time he looked deep into her eyes. Her eyes were looking down. She was pretty indeed. He hadn't noticed yet. She had a mole on her temple. Shivam saw that, may be for first time. Her long parting between her hairs was full of vermilion. That was changing her looks. She had put a medium red bindi on her forehead. In fact, the bindi was a little above from the exact place where normally female wears. She was looking different n cute too.

Shivam moved forward n placed the papers on the table nearby. She looked at those papers. It was issued by court. She could see that. It didn't take time her to recognize those papers. She took those papers n asked him for a pen hesitantly. He gave that. Without any question, she signed all the papers. Shivam looked at her with surprise. She was a mystery indeed. Shivam collected those papers.

''wo,, actually I wanted to ask you something?'' he told her with hesitation.

''pen..''

''huuu?'' Shivam became confused.

''your pen.'' She forwarded his pen n looked away. Shivam frowned. Now he didn't have anything to say. Silently he left the place.

The day passed welcoming a chill night. Whole city got into sleep's embrace. But two souls were still awake struggling with their inner turmoil. Pousani's eyes were stuck on the wall. She didn't know, what should she do? She was just following her heart. She didn't have any regret for that. Now that, the cell was her life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------