••Chapter 37••

Present time...

Rima let her head hang as she felt the harsh glare of her interrogator on her. She has been in this 9 by 9 foot room for over 3 and a half hours, and all they have been doing was yell at her, not even trying to hear her out.

Rima tried to tell the truth but she realised not to long ago that no matter how you looked at it, she would look guilty. The dove that immobilized her testified what he saw - Rima with her kagune around a injured and hurt Kanae, trying to strangler her on an empty street.

Who were they most likely to believe. The human or the human turned crazy ghoul.

It was no use trying to change their thoughts. They already had who they believed more, and Rima didn't have the fight in her anymore to argue back.

Only if she had seen it before it hit her. Only if she had kept running and didn't stop. Only if...

"I just can't understand why you would do this..."The interrogator mumbled. To her or himself Rima didn't know.

Rima kept silent, staring sadly at her lap. Kanae's blood had stained a great portion of her white shorts red. It was a constant reminder for Rima now about what had happened.

She wanted to be angry at Kanae. She wanted to be absolutely furious with the raven haired female, but for some reason... Rima just couldn't find it in herself to be angry with her.

If Rima could kick herself, she would.

"The CCG has given you a stable, secure job and you just threw it all down the drain. Why? Why did you attack Kanae-San?"The interrogator pressed, taking a step closer to Rima, who kept her head down and stayed silent.

"When someone speaks to you, it's polite to look at them."He sneered in annoyance when he realized Rima wasn't going to respond.

Startled by a hand grabbing her chin roughly, Rima gasped as her head was forced up. The look on the mans face sent a cold chill over her entire body, making her heart stutter a few beats.

"Answer me! Why did you attack h-"

He was cut off by the only door in the to swinging open.

"Marako-San... that's enough."A short bald man said and he stood in the doorway.

"But I'm just getting started!"

"You've been 'just getting started' for a few hours now. You've been relieved."

The man infront of Rima stood up straight, releasing his hold on her."By who?"He growled out angrily.

"By me~!"

Rima's eyes widened at the sound of the familiar voice, her breath catching in her throat. She didn't know whether or not to be happy.

The man stayed silent as Rima looked at his feet not wanting to meet anyone's gaze. She watched as he stood unmoving for a moment before stomping off.

"I'm sorry about that."

"No problem~! It happens a lot with these youngsters."

"I'll leave you to it then, Kijima-San..."

"Thanks!"

Rima's body started to get tense as she heard the sound of the heavy door being shut and locked. It was getting harder for her to breath.

"So how's it going Hizake-San?"

Rima couldn't come up with any response. How was it going? Not great obviously.

The sound of chair legs scratching tile floor filled Rima's ears and from underneath her lashes she could see a grey foldable chair being placed a foot infront of her, and she watched as the associate-class investigator took a seat.