Chapter Ten: Freefall

Trigger Warning: There are some sensitive issues discussed in this chapter. 

__________________________________________________________

When I awoke it was day: an unusual movement roused

me; I looked up; I was in somebody's arms; the nurse held
me; she was carrying me through the passage back to the
dormitory. .... my face against Helen Burns's shoulder,
my arms round her neck. I was asleep, and Helen was -- dead.
Her grave is in Brocklebridge churchyard: for fifteen years
after her death it was only covered by a grassy mound; but
now a grey marble tablet marks the spot, inscribed with her
name, and the word "Resurgam."

Jayne Eyre.

________________________________________________

Standing in the classroom doorway, Jahaan-Aara's chest expanded with pride watching Umera wave her gangly arms in an animated fashion filling the classroom with excitement. Umera had a marvellous ability injecting fun into learning talking about the earth's tectonic plates. The young students eyes stared at her with dilated eyes in enthusiasm. Umera pulled funny faces pointing to the diagram on the board.

When Umera spotted Jahaan-Aara her mouth dropped to the floor. "Is that you, Noor Jahaan-Aara?" She tilted her head to the side in disbelief.
"You're really here! You're really here." Umera squeezed Jahaan-Aara in excitement introduced her to the class.
"Girls and boys, this is a very good beloved former class mate! She's come all the way from Kashmir to be here with us!" Umera looked at Jahaan-Aara in exhilaration.

Later when the classroom cleared, Umera looked at Jahaan-Aara from top to bottom and kissed her cheeks.
"You've changed. You look different." Jahaan-Aara gleamed with a smile.
Umera took Jahaan-Aara to the office and made a cup of chai and warmed up pakore to share with Jahaan-Aara. They discussed about their present roles, their students and expectations.
"So tell me, what made you come all this way and surprise me?" Umera sipped her tea.
Jahaan-Aara was impatient to ask Umera about the issue that chewed her brain all the way here.
"Tell me something, Umera. What happened to Saadia?"
Umera placed her cup on the saucer and leaned back feeling uncomfortable. "Why are you asking?
"I need to know. I've been troubled for a long time. I need to fill the gaps. Saadia was a quite girl, hard working and studious. She was ill for so long, why didn't anyone call the doctor? Why weren't we allowed to know about the funeral. To this day we don't know where she's buried."

Umera stood up and washed the plate; her jaw taut. This was a conversation she hoped she would never have to repeat.  
"You know women are not allowed to see a dead body or go to the grave." Umera reminded.
"I didn't say goodbye to her." Jahaan-Aara stood up. "And now Rohail Saab is saying-"
"Who?" Umera turned around.
"My master, he has put doubts in my head and I can't get them out." Jahaan-Aara brows furrowed thinking back to that evening.
"Why are you talking to him about Saadia?" Umera placed her hand on her shoulder trying to read her expression.
"I needed to talk to someone. I need answers. You must tell me. What happened to her?" Jahaan-Aara's tone was agitated and her jaw straight. Umera let out an exasperated sigh and stepped away. She leaned against the counter and looked down.
"You don't want to know the truth. I don't think you can handle it."
"Handle what?" Jahaan-Aara crossed Umera's personal space. "Tell me the truth Umera. What happened?"

Umera decided to take Jahaan-Aara to her one bedroom flat close to the school. Once she finished her shift at the school, she picked up a halwa poori from the cart vendor and took her up to her second floor residence. The flat was small and modest, with a two seat sofa, table and a chair and a poky kitchen. Jahaan-Aara sat on the end of her seat waiting to settle, eat or rest until Umera explained the events.