Chapter 4: White Shadow

Author's Note: Sorry it's been a while since I last updated. I have published my first novel, Inayah's Struggle and it's available from Amazon Kindle Store. Add me on Instagram for gossip, sneak peeks into my chapters and poetry. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saif quickly secured a teaching job for Jahaan-Aara in Karimabad School for girls, teaching maths to grade 3 students. The classroom of 20 eager school girls was challenging at first for Jahaan-Aara to grasp their attention. But soon over the next six weeks, Jahaan-Aara mastered her role and grew to love each and every student.

Working from 8 a.m in the mornings through to 12pm, her part time role allowed Jahaan-Aara to sample the delights of the city in the afternoon.

One afternoon, meandering her way through the bustling bazaar, Jahaan-Aara stumbled upon an inspiring cause. The smell of fresh jalebi from the pan of oil stuck in Jahaan-Aara's nostrils. Together with the sharp kick of fresh chilli spices travelling through the air, Jahaan-Aara was dazzled by the colours around her. In front of her a toy monkey clapped together cymbals and somersaulted attracting a little child's attention. The boy tugged his mother's handbag forcing her to buy the fun toy. The city had its own charm and slowly Jahaan-Aara was drawing to it.

But beside the pots and pans stall, two young girls dressed in traditional salwar kameez their hair draped loosely with duppatta were handing out leaflets. They waved the leaflets into the air but most passersby ignored them. In curiosity Jahaan-Aara approached the two women licking the sticky sweet taste of jalebi from her fingers. The girl in the orange kameez explained they were holding a protest which sparked Jahaan-Aara's attention.
"We are students from the city university. We are making a stand because our university lecturer has been making inappropriate advances towards the female students."
Jahaan-Aara recoiled in disgust. It still happens?
"We have lodged a formal complaint with the university principal but they have done nothing." The second girl in the red kameez snapped.
"We want the university to take action." The first girl spoke. "But they are not taking us seriously. Just because he is a man in power they are afraid of him. We cannot let this happen. We have to protect students who want to study. We must unite and make our voices heard so such men will fear and think twice!"
Jahaan-Aara was taken with the woman's stance. Her passion resounded with her. All she could think about was Sadia Bashir. If only she had the power and capability to speak up, to bring Ustaad Burhaan to justice, maybe she could find peace.
"Willl you come sister?" Asked the woman in the red kameez.
"Of course!" Jahaan-Aara replied in a snap. "I will be there." She took the leaflet.

On returning home, Jahaan-Aara was charged with energy infused from the women's speech. Quickly, Jahaan-Aara raced up the stairs to the terrace where Shumayla hung freshly washed white bed sheets. Jahaan-Aara approached  her and sought for her opinion on the protest.
"Have you seen this?" Jahaan-Aara commended the students' courage for standing up and speaking against abuse of power.

"There will be a march on Monday outside the university. The professor has made inappropriate advances towards the female students and the university are doing nothing. I can't believe men are allowed to get away with such debauched behaviour."

Shumayla looked at the leaflet with dismay. "Such a shame."

"We must attend and make a stance." Jahaan-Aara spoke boldy. "Will you come?"

Shumayla was dubious. She pre-empted her husband and Saif's response, but for Jahaan-Aara gave her the benefit of the doubt.

That evening after dinner when the family gathered in the lounge, Jahaan-Aara bought the subject up in front of Saif and Zubair. Shumayla sent Haziqa and Haider-Ali to their room as the subject was quite sensitive.
"This protest is such an excellent initiative. United voices are stronger, alone they are weak. We must go and give the students our support." Jahaan-Aara praised the protest. Over dinner she couldn't eat a morsel, such was her excitement.