Katherine

Joseph Pulitzer and Katie Pulitzer had been married for 28 years now. They had six wonderful children together whom were all grown up and moved out of the house.

Katie had married Joseph when she was 18, and had four daughters and two sons. The eldest being Ralph who would one day inherit his fathers business. The next child that came was Edith, she was the prettiest of the girls and married one of the rich boys down town. Then was Lucille, she got married her childhood friend had they had a son. Then was Consistence, she married an immigrant from France and moved with him across the sea where they now have two little kids, a boy and a girl.

And ten there was James. The youngest of the six siblings. He was 18 and full of excitement, ready to find a lovely young girl, and start his own family business.

Joseph and Katie were so proud of their children. They were unbelievably happy, living the life of luxury and wealth...

And that's when Katherine came along.

It was a complete shock when Katie found out she was pregnant again at the age 46. No one had expected it. It's like the child had a mind of its own and decided that 'hey! I'm coming so you better be ready when I'm here!'

Katie was overjoyed of course. Another baby for her to take care of! She'd been getting lonely in the now empty mansion and couldn't be happier.

Joseph on the other hand...

"You can not keep the child." He told his wife one day. "You are far past your child bearing years, Katie."

His wife responded with a laugh and a pat to his cheek. "Oh Joseph, you worry to much, I am much stronger than you think."

And it was true. Katie had always been a well oiled machine her whole life, what with having six children in the space of ten years... yes, she could handle this one.

So, on January 30th, 1882. Katherine Ethel Pulitzer was born. The youngest of seven children, a firefly ball of spunk just waiting to bust. Oh yes, from that day on...

Katherine's story had begun.