When Riding is Not an Option

The following day went by slow. Work was its usual self except I got a call from my mom saying she was coming into town and wanted to go out with me. I decided I would take her to a little Italian restaurant on Mainstreet.

I started packing my stuff up and getting ready to leave when I got another call from her. "Hey mom what's up?" I answered

"Hey sweetie I am about five minutes away from your exit on the highway. Can you shoot me the address to the restaurant?" She asked.

"Yea no problem. See you soon!" I hung up and walked to my car after sending the text.

The restaurant was small and owned by two brothers. It's apparently been here for years. I walked in to the front which is the pizza area and let them know I needed a table for 2. The young waitress with curly dark hair led me to the back which had a more sit-down kind of feel. A few minutes later my mother came walking in.

My mom looked a lot like me. We both had high cheek bones with dimples, icy blue eyes and golden tan skin with long wavy hair. I did however get my brown colored hair from my dad while she was blonde but none the less we were practically twins.

I stood up to hug her. "Hi mom, it's so nice to see you." I smiled wide as she pulled me in. Me and my mom were very close. While my dad spent months at a time deployed in the military me and my mom took care of each other. She took it pretty hard when I moved but luckily she isn't too far.

"It's been too long Carmen how are you? You look great!" She said excited to see me. "I'm good mom you look good too. What's new?" I asked. The waitress briefly interrupted so we could order drinks. After we both ordered a glass of wine my mom brought my attention back. "I spoke to your father last night and he said he's coming home in a month for about two weeks." She said.

"That's great. I can't wait to see him I miss him so much." I said remembering its been almost a year since I have seen him. "I know I do too. Luckily he's retiring after this year." She smiled.

The waitress brought us our red wine and we both placed our orders. "So anything interesting going on around here. It must be so boring. I could never imagine suburban life." She teased.

"It's actually not that bad. I love being surrounded by so much nature and you can actually see the stars at night here. It's certainly not the city but it's not bad." I smiled taking a sip of my wine.

"Well i'm glad you like it. Have you made any friends or met anyone interesting?" She said that last part wiggling her eyebrows. Suddenly I was reminded of a familiar pair of warm brown eyes. She must have noticed my blush by smirk on her face. "Tell me all about them." She beamed.

My face reddened deeper. "It's nothing mom just a little crush I guess."

"How did you meet?" She asked pulling for more information.

I hesitated for a second trying to avoid saying the word 'she'. "Well there's a local coffee shop I go to a lot and they just so happen to work there."

"Do you know if they feel the same as you?" She asked.

"I have no idea. The conversations have been flirty but I don't want to be that girl that over thinks everything" I said knowing damn well I absolutely am 'that girl'.

"Well hopefully by the time I see you again that will change." She smiled and dropped the conversation as our food came to the table.

"Bye mom drive safe!" I smiled waving goodbye to my moms descending car. I appreciated her visit so much. Walking into my apartment I decided I would just head straight to bed. I was tired and my mom had stayed talking with me for almost 2 hours.