Chapter 6 - Favored by Passion

Dan has seen over twenty World's Finest Magic shows this year alone, all accompanied by his father. Out of all of them, this one seemed the best. He didn't know if the magic's quality was any better, but the sensational feeling in the air was far more uplifting. Today, he wore an extra accessory as he walked through the large steel doors.

He fiddled with the backstage pass slung around his neck anxiously. Once the (as always) outstanding show had finished, the sixteen year old pushed his way to the dressing rooms, where he shook hands with several magicians and performers. He couldn't stop saying just how much he adored them all. As he rushed to meet one person after the other, his now middle-aged father followed behind.

He read the names on the doors until finding the gold plate that stated "JAMES ARLINE – MYSTIC"

"This is him," Dan whispered to his father.

"Then why are you standing out here?"

He inhaled nervously, and knocked on the door.

"Come in," a voice urged.

"M-Mr. Arline?" he shyly asked as he entered.

"Ah, a fan?" the man asked with a smile. "Yes, I am James Arline, The Mystic."

Dan tugged at his shirt collar. He was quite handsome, even being nearly thirty. Dan has seen this man on stage for eleven years. Seeing him up close in real life was so different. He was without cap, blazer or top hat, only the black dress pants, white shirt and red bow tie of his usual costume.

"I'm Dan Howell," he said with a nervous smile. "I'm a huge fan."

The Mystic stuck out his hand. "Great to meet you, Dan. How'd you like the show this evening?"

"Amazing as always. I-I've seen WFM's shows for over a decade," he bragged. "Particularly your shows. You're the best here."

"Well I can't say I'm the best," he grinned humbly, "but thanks so much! Here, have a seat," he said, gesturing to a small dressing room sofa. Dan sat.

"I've wanted to meet you for so long," he admitted. "You really are mystifying."

"Well, that is the goal, after all."

"I wanted to tell you, sir, that you inspired me as a young kid years ago."

"Ah, you want to be a magician as well?" he happily assumed.

Dan laughed. "No, but many people have asked if I did. No, I want to own a magic show."

"Oh really? How did I inspire that?"

"I wanted to just keep watching you. And more magicians too. The sensation of watching is so amazing! You feel every emotion, from suspense to fear, to happiness and even pride! Everything but the worries of daily life. It's like being in a completely new world! And... thanks to you, I want to share that sensation with the world."

The man smiled. "That's really deep, kid. You have a good heart. You know, magic was always just a hobby for me. I took this job when I was seventeen, you know, to make some money. But I fell in love with it. I intended to leave when I graduated high school, but I stayed. Not too sure why, but I did. And I'm glad I did, because all my years here earned me ownership. The owner of World's Finest passed it down to me. He liked my passion."

"That's amazing!"

"Yeah. I love the place." James Arline thought for a moment. "How old are you?"

"Sixteen."

"You want a job?"

The sudden and random offer didn't fully register in Dan's brain for a moment. His eyes widened. "A job? Here?"

"Yeah, we need a new stage hand. You know, someone to help in the back with all the props and such. If you'd like, I think you'd make a good addition to the crew."

"I can't do magic," he reminded him.

"You don't have to. You'd be a part of the set up crew. You'll learn the place inside and out."

Dan stood up. "I would be honored to work with you, sir!" He shook his hand.

"Well let me give you an application. Bring it back as soon as you can and I'll bump you to the top of the applicants list."

"You'd do that for me, sir?"

"You have passion. I can see it, and I can see how much you like the place. Most people just want some cash and something to do. You're far more deserving."

Dan continued chatting with Mr. Arline and received the application. He thanked him graciously before reluctantly exiting the room. He quickly met up with his father, who was making small talk with a stage director.

"How was it?" he asked. "Everything you expected?"

"And more."

Mr. Howell began to guide his son home when Dan froze in his place. "Autograph! I didn't get an autograph!"

"What's that, then?" His father pointed to the paper in his hand.

"Job application."

"You applied for a job?"

"It was offered to me. I have to go get that autograph!"

Dan broke away and ran back to the dressing room, but The Mystic was nowhere to be found.