Chapter 25 - Quidnunc

Phil decided not to tell anyone about his mishap with his magic pulse – not even Dan. How would he even explain?

Oh yeah, I loved you so much that I almost killed you, he once thought as a joke.

Instead, he began teasing Dan with his new teleportation, until he quickly learned that it takes so much energy that he once almost passed out after only doing it only around three or four times in a day. That's about when he realized finally that his magic was not for play anymore.

Dan didn't fully understand Phil's sudden passion for him, or the intense desire he felt all of a sudden. But as soon as he arrived home that day, Phil greeted him in kisses and a tight squeeze.

"Happy to see me?"

"Happier than ever."

Phil kissed him with so much passion and confidence. He was so into it that he lifted Dan's feet and carried him all the way to their bed. The sudden strength turned Dan on, and he wondered how far Phil could go before his body overheated.

"Wait, Phil," Dan stopped. "You almost caught on fire last night doing this. Maybe we shouldn't–"

"I think we should, if you want."

After the mishap with the magic pulse, the amount of control Phil gained doubled, maybe tripled. He could fully understand everything, and exactly how to make it work.

Maybe, Hector's teachings were all wrong. If he never made this mistake, how would he have gotten so much stronger and so much more in control? Mistakes might not be great, but they help. Maybe that was the only error Hector ever made with him.

But Phil had control now. Not only control in himself, but in dominance. He kissed Dan, he fearlessly unclothed him, and as aroused as he was, his body retained normality.

And Phil gave Dan everything he had – including a great romance.

"Wow." Dan commented. "You really are magic."

~~~~

Three full years passed after Phil's magic pulse. On one particular night, he stayed home during a practice day while Dan went to work. Dan insisted he stay since he had been doing consecutive shows for the past week.

He received a knock at his door. Odd, since Dan wasn't supposed to be home for another hour and a half, and besides, he had his own keys, so he wouldn't have to knock. In any case, Phil opened the door.

As he did, a familiar person stood there, waiting for him.

"Phil."

"Hector."

The teacher grinned. Phil was almost unsurprised, just in a bit of shock.

"How?" Phil asked monotonously.

"I'm not alive."

"I know that."

"After I died some three years ago, my magic was strong enough to give me a spiritual form."

"Spiritual?"

"My soul is gone, but my mind still lives. I'm not human. Just more of a shadow, if you will."

Phil gave a nod, trying to comprehend.

"How are you?"

"I'm well. Everything has been good. How's the afterlife?"

"Not really an 'afterlife' where you go to Heaven or Hell and live freely for eternity. More or less just wandering around as a spirit. People can't see me."

"How can I, then?"

"Magic."

"Makes as much sense as it can, right?"

"Yes. I just wanted to check in on you, and make sure you know you did the right thing. You did something I never could have done."

"It was nothing."

"Phil," he said. "It was so much. You are stronger than I was."

He nodded, trying to accept his words. They seemed too good, too kind to be true. "Thank you."

"How is Dan?"

"Perfect."

"You two fit well together."

"I think so too."

The man smiled. "My time here is up."

"It's only been a few minutes."

"And it is our last few minutes."

Phil understood. "Thank you for everything, sir."

"I never expected to hear you call me 'sir' again."

"Well I never thought I'd see you again. Expect the unexpected. That is what magic is."

Hector nodded with a simple grin. "Yes, indeed."

"Now get out of here," Phil said with a friendly smile.

Hector smiled back, and Phil instinctively closed the door. He curiously reopened it, and as he thought, the figure of Hector Wells had disappeared instantly – gone for the last time.