Chapter 11 - Audition

"Laurie, where is number 47?" Dan called, waiting for his next contestant. He sat with his own clipboard in the rows of red velvet seats, watching up at the stage as new magicians auditioned for his shows. Even if it was he who would run the show, it would certainly not be he who performed. He needed a new magician. One who gave him the same sensation as The Mystic once did.

"Here, sir." She guided a tall, pale looking man to the stage. His hair was deep black, and instead of any proper attire, he wore a simple t-shirt and jeans. Dan's eyebrows furrowed at the sight. He brought no props, no gear, and nothing to show.

"Is this a joke?" he asked.

Laurie shrugged, and left the stage.

Dan sighed. "Name?"

"Phil Lester, sir."

"Age?"

"Twenty one."

A few years older than him. "Why are you here?"

"Auditioning for a magic show, I suppose."

"Are you aware that we dress in a specific colour scheme here when performing? You come here in a t-shirt? And jeans? Do you not really want this job?"

The young man stumbled his words. "I-I'm much better at magic than I am explaining things."

Dan was silenced. "Well, proceed then."

Phil took a breath. He nervously looked around, unsure where to start. He ran to the side of the stage.

Another cheep mess, Dan thought. "Next," he called.

Instead, Phil came back, this time, dragging Laurie with him. "May I use you for a moment?" he politely asked her, not acknowledging Dan's call.

She nodded.

He took her clipboard from her and smashed it with his knee.

"What are you doing?!" she yelped.

He then took her paperwork from the broken clipboard and tore the papers in half.

"Sir! Please!"

"What does this guy think he's doing? Laurie, get him off my stage!"

"Wait, sir!" Phil froze everyone with a sudden halt. He touched the crumbled clipboard with his left hand, and the pieces joined back up. Perfectly aligned, not a mark of being broken at all. "Ma'am, please check that this is together as it once was."

He handed it to her, and her eyes were in horrible shock. She held it up for Dan to see. He too couldn't believe his eyes.

While they marveled at the board, they didn't even notice Phil reattach the papers back together as well, of which he handed back to her. He kept one paper, however, and held it up. There were names and numbers listed in ink. Phil swayed his hand, causing the ink to change shape. He drew his initials "P L" in it without touching it, making whatever it was before completely changed. He showed it to the girl, who then showed Dan. The room was dead silent.

Phil then looked at Laurie's dress. "What's your favourite colour, ma'am?"

She couldn't even speak.

"Never mind, just think it."

Purple, the word came to Phil's head in her voice. Her scarlet red gown quickly changed to her favourite shade of purple. She screamed.

Dan stood up.

Phil went to the side of the stage again, fully confident now. A man who worked on the stage lighting was oblivious to the auditions and didn't even notice Phil come in and swipe his gloves.

He went back on stage and showed the white gloves to Dan. He put them on with a clever smile, and balled his fists. He put the two together, and opened his hands to reveal a pair of white birds instead of gloves. They flew to the back of the stage together, and then came back to Phil and sat on his shoulders.

Dan couldn't move. Laurie and the stage man were frozen in fear and amazement.

When Phil stopped his tricks, he simply stood in center stage and met eyes with Dan, then Laurie. "Was that okay?" he asked.

After a silent pause, Dan sat back down. "Who are you?" he asked slowly, not taking his eyes off of him.

"Phil Lester, sir."

"Laurie, tell the other contestants that they may go. We've found our magician."

She nodded excitedly and ran off, her new purple dress shining.

"I must ask you," Dan said, "how long have you been doing magic?"

Phil smiled, afraid he would laugh. "Ah, all my life, you could say."

He's wearing no sleeves.

Phil heard the young man's voice in his head. "Would you prefer I wear sleeves next time, sir?" he offered.

"Uh, no. Just, how did you do... that? Any of that? I've never seen anything like it before."

One of the birds on his shoulder cooed in his ear. "Uh.... A-a magician never reveals his tricks," he said with a cheeky smile.

"Well... welcome to the business. We're happy to have you. My name is Dan Howell, but please just call me Dan. I am the proprietor of World's Finest Magic."

Phil looked confused. "Aren't you a bit young to own such a large company?"

"It was passed down to me from the previous owner."

"Oh."

"Return here tomorrow, and we'll get you started on an act and an outfit and all. Go to Laurie before you leave so she can get all of your information. Congratulations."

Phil smiled. He had a job, and he wouldn't have to worry about staying contained. Things seemed to be going well for a change.

"What about my gloves? Kid?!" the man from backstage shouted.

"Oh, right." Phil gently removed the birds from his shoulders and into his palms. He compressed them together with both hands. The man stood in horror as he thought he was witnessing the birds being killed. However, when Phil opened his hands, both gloves in perfect condition were placed in his palm, which he then stuck out to give to him.

He carefully took his gloves back as Phil waved and left the stage.