Chapter 5

Olivia started to write back, but then Mr. Brady called out "Olivia. Ethan."

They both looked up as their teacher called their names. "Yes?"

"For this assignment I will be paring everyone up and they will have to perform a scene from Romeo and Juliet."

Olivia raised her hand. "Mr. Brady. Is Ethan my partner?"

"Yes. I hope that's ok. The rest of you I will be pairing up when I pass out the assignment sheet. You will have 2 weeks to practice and get ready. The performances will be happening on the Thursday and Friday in 2 weeks."  

Mr. Brady handed out the assignment sheet and kept talking. Olivia continued with her note to Ethan: So we're partners now... Then passed him the note. He quickly hands it back with one word, Ya. 

"You will lots of class time to prepare, but make sure you are also practicing outside of school." Mr. Brady said. "I will give you the rest of class to prepare. But keep in mind you only have 30 more minutes. Don't waste a second. Okay. Does everyone have a partner?"

Taylor and this one male student both raise their hands. "Right Taylor. You will be paired with Liam."

Taylor looks at Olivia and gave her the thumbs up sign. Taylor had been crushing on Liam for the longest time. Now that she was paired up with him, so seemed so excited. After Mr. Brady partnered Taylor and Liam together everyone found their partner and started working.

"So What scene were you thinking about doing?" Ethan asked Olivia.

"The Orchard Scene. It's Act 2 Scene 2." Olivia replied.

"Sounds good. So should we practice after school today?"

"Uhmm. maybe."

"Well I still need to talk to you. How about you think about it and I'll meet you after school."

After talking about what their after school plans were they went to work on their English project.

"So do you want to switch up the roles, like instead of me being Romeo you be Romeo and I'll be Juliet?" Ethan asked.

"Actually I was thinking you play Romeo and I'll be Juliet. Unless you'd be more comfortable with you scenario" Olivia giggled.

"Nope. I was just joking." Ethan looked down.

"Oh come on. I was joking too. I think it's cool that you wanted to break gender norms, but I think the idea is that the guy is Romeo and the girl is Juliet." Olivia smiled at him.

"It's ok. So." Ethan said as he took out his book. "How long should we make out scene, because there is just 2 of us, and the Orchard scene also has a third character."

"Ok, you see the first exit, where Juliet leaves. That's where we should end." 

"Good plan. Before the nurse comes into the scene?"

"Ya." Olivia pointed to the spot in his book. "Let's start here. So you read first."

"But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Juliet is the sun. Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon, Who is already sick and pale with grief,..."

"Wow! That's good. But I need more feeling. Let's pretend for a moment that we are actually in this scene. You and I are lovers and we are meeting in secret. Ok? Let's start from your last line: That birds would sing and think it were not night. See, how she leans her cheek upon her hand! O, that I were a glove upon that hand, That I might touch that cheek!" Olivia smiled at Ethan.

"Ok. That birds would sing and think it were not night. See, how she leans her cheek upon her hand! O, that I were a glove upon that hand, That I might touch that cheek!"

"Ay Me!"

"She speaks: O, speak again, bright angel! for thou art, As glorious to this night, being o'er my head, As is a winged messenger of heaven, Unto the white-upturned wondering eyes, Of mortals that fall back to gaze on him, When he bestrides the lazy-pacing clouds, And sails upon the bosom of the air."

"Oh my gosh! not this line."

"What? Oooh! I see. Just say it. I'm not going to judge."

"Ok. O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo? Deny thy father and refuse thy name; Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love, And I'll no longer be a Capulet."

Ethan muffled his laugh. Then was about to say his line, when Olivia started speaking.

"What? I thought you said you wouldn't judge." Olivia said, about to burst out laughing too. 

They laugh for a little, until they notice Mr. Brady looking at them. 

"O, Romeo! Looketh at thou professor. Be sworn, Be bold, be brave. Continue with me I do plea." Olivia smiled at Ethan.

"Dearest Juliet. I am sworn to you. Nay that thou professor looketh at us. I plea that we continue." Ethan looked at Olivia, about to laugh.

"Olivia and Ethan! Is something funny."

"No Mr. Brady. Sorry. We were just practicing our lines." Olivia said.

"Ethan? Do you have anything to say for yourself?"

"Sorry, Mr. Brady." Ethan said, sheepishly.

"Well you guys have 15 more minutes try not to waste anymore of my time." Mr. Brady said strictly.

They turned back to each other and laughed. 

Ethan looks Aside, but continues. "Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?"

"'Tis but thy name that is my enemy; Thou art thyself, though not a Montague. What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot, Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part Belonging to a man. O, be some other name! What's in a name? that which we call a rose , By any other name would smell as sweet; So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd, Retain that dear perfection which he owes Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name, And for that name which is no part of thee Take all myself." Olivia followed along.

"I take thee at thy word: Call me but love, and I'll be new baptized; Henceforth I never will be Romeo."

"Whateth doth thou mean?" Olivia mocked.

"By a name I know not how to tell thee who I am..." Ethan replied.

"Waiteth. Thou readeth our script." Olivia said.

"My name, dear saint, is hateful to myself, Because it is an enemy to thee; Had I it written, I would tear the word."

"My ears have not yet drunk a hundred words Of that tongue's utterance, yet I know the sound:Art thou not Romeo and a Montague?" Olivia read her line.

"Ok. I'm sorry, but it was so funny to see your expression." Ethan said, apologetically.

"It's ok. It was funny from my perspective too." Olivia smiled.

The bell rang and they collected their stuff. Then Ethan was gone. So Olivia went over to Taylor, who was overjoyed that she had Liam's number. Then they walked out of their English class.