Clato

The Hunger Games

   Clove's POV
  Training is one of my favorite things in the world. One day I hope to get reaped. My last year I might volunteer. If I die in the Games no one will care. No one cares about me. Mom hates me and calls me her little drunken mistake. Dad died about three years ago. Jay, my noisy younger brother, will miss me but he won't really care. Less competition in the family.
  I'm walking home from training and a handsome blonde strolls my way. He has a muscular build and is a beast at training. Plus, he is so hot. I think his name is Cato. I've seen him at school before.
  Suddenly, I'm pushed up against the wall. I feel a knife at my throat. My eyes quickly scan the surroundings and I'm in the alley behind the bakery and between the Craft, a trading place to trade weapons, food, and other things. My attacker is a skinny blonde idiot named Teddie.
  " I can't believe Coach Misk trained you separately from everyone else. You can't be the best, Clove. You are nobody. Now to keep my top title, you will die," Teddie sneers.
  She pulls the knife from my throat and slices my arm. She snickers as she does this. I fall to my knees.
  "Help!" I scream as loud as I can.
  I hear someone coming to my rescue. " Let go of her, Teddie!"
  " Get out of this, Cato!" She drops the knife in fear.
  " Cato," I whisper weakly.
  The boy, who I thought would never bat an eye at me came to rescue me from this psycho.
  I stand up and grab the knife while Cato distracts her. I hold the knife in my hand to stab her in the back.
  "Cato, don't make me kill you too!" Teddie yells.
  " I wouldn't, but she might."
  Teddie turns around right when I go to stab her in the back. Instead, it goes into her heart. It kills her instantly.
  " Are you okay?"
  " Yes, I'm fine. Thank you for saving me."
  "I didn't do much. You are the one with the knife skills. "
  "Well, if you didn't distract her I would be dead."
  " I'm glad you are alive. I'll walk you home."
  "Thanks."
  I tell him where I live and we start walking home. I can't believe I just did that. I killed her just like that. I was defending myself, but still. Teddie was crazy, though.
  Cato keeps his arm around my waist. I walk right next to him. I nuzzle my face into his shirt. I can hear his heart beating. We get to my house and he walks me to my front door. He leans down and our lips touch. His soft one against my chapped ones, almost as if they were meant to be together.
  " Sorry, you're just so beautiful. I didn't mean to come on strong."
  " No, you're fine. I liked it. Will I see you tomorrow at the Reaping?"
  " Duh. If you don't attend you're a dead man."
  " True. I'll see you later."
  He steps off of my front step. " Bye."
  " Bye."
  Tonight I went to sleep knowing that I had hot boy who liked me and an unknown terror. The Reaping.