Chapter 29: How to Apply Your Mascara

Close one eye and brush mascara down from the roots to the tips of your lashes.

Next, open your eye wide and brush the top lashes from underneath, again from roots to tips.

Again, with your eye open and working from roots to tips, add more mascara to the lower lashes. Repeat for the other eye.

Curling

Curly lashes look thicker and so need less mascara. Straight lashes can be cured with eyelash curlers; carefully trap a row of lashes in the curlers and apply several short squeezes.

Dyeing

The eyelashes can be dyed cosmetically to make them more apparent. Eyelash dyeing is quite difficult to do, so you will probably be better to get this job done professionally rather than trying to do it yourself. Avoid dark dyes if your natural lash color is very pale.

False Eyelashes

These can be worn to give very different effects: they can look very obvious, or they can be trimmed back to different lengths to be more discreet and natural looking. False eyelashes are attached with a special glue, but because this is not particularly easy to remove completely it is advisable not to wear false eyelashes very frequently.

For a fashionable look, apply a colored mascara (navy blue, cobalt blue, green, violet) to tips of upper lashes.