Chapter 38: Hair Problems and Treatments

Few people have hair that is always in good condition and full of bounce and body.

Dry Hair

Dry hair is vulnerable and easily damaged because it lacks the normal protective coat of sebum. If dry hair is your problem, always use a shampoo and rich conditioner specially formulated for dry hair, and use fingertip scalp massage during washing to stimulate the sebaceous glands.

Oily Hair

Oily hair looks lank and lifeless, and picks up dust and dirt very easily. Frequent washing with a mild shampoo is necessary, but use warm rather than hot water so that the sebaceous glands are not over stimulated.

Fragile Hair

This is usually the result of too much perming, tinting, and coloring, or too frequent use of heated rollers, dryers, and tongs. The protective surface of the hair becomes damaged, making the hair very vulnerable. Use a wide-tooth comb that does not tug or tear your hair, and wear your hair in a simple style that does not need a lot of handling.

Split Ends

Fragile hair splits easily, but split ends can also occur in hair – especially long hair – that is in otherwise good condition. They are usually the result of not treating your hair with enough care – using spiky rollers carelessly, perhaps, or using heated hair appliances too frequently. Use a brush with well-spaced rounded nylon quills in preference to a bristle brush, and use a protective conditioner before blow-drying your hair. Have your hair trimmed regularly to remove the split ends, as this will prevent the split traveling up the hair.

Dandruff

In mild cases of dandruff, small flakes of skin appear in the hair. This may be the result of using harsh products, or an accompaniment to general dry skin and dry hair. Vigorous brushing with a gentle bristle brush will stimulate the scalp and remove the dandruff; scalp massage will help bring more nutrients to the scalp to feed the skin and hair.

Hair Loss

The average person may lose around 100 hairs a day and not notice the difference, but for some people hair loss can become a problem. Hair loss may occur as a result of the aging process (although balding is only rarely a problem for women), or as the result of disease or some other physiological factor. Prolonged illness may cause deterioration in the general state of the hair, possibly including extra hair loss. Some forms of medical treatment (e.g. chemotherapy) can also cause the hair to fall out. In all these cases you should seek expert professional advice.

Scalp Problems

There are a number of skin conditions that can affect the scalp as well as the skin on the rest of the body. They require professional medical treatment, and you should consult your doctor if you suspect that you suffer from either dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, or a fungal infection.

A less serious but equally unpleasant scalp problem can be caused by lice. These small parasites love clean hair and lay their eggs there. The first sign of their presence is usually an itching scalp, and on closer inspection the eggs or nits are visible. Treatment involves applying a special lotion to kill the lice and using a "nit comb" to remove the eggs from the hair.

####

Congratulations! You've reached the very end of the book and thank you for reading! Now you have the ability to explore your beauty within your reach, and I'm sure that you can do it! Kindly make a review if you find this book helpful. Please remember to tell your friends about this book.