Things start to go wrong

It has been at least two days since I've been told I wasn't suppose to be here. Two days of waiting, wondering what would happen. Jack didn't seem to care I was "messing things up" (as The Mayor put it). He simply spent those days with me, trying to get a smile out of me. Occasionally he got a little laugh. I knew how serious this situation was. I didn't need to be babied through this process.

After that two days, things went to hell. Fast.

I wake up to the curtains being yanked open. The last days he has opened them quietly then tickling me to death like my Mother used to do. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I found Sally standing in place of Jack.

"Get dressed. Now." Her sweet voice was replaced with a stern edge.

I scrambled out of bed and put on some skinny jeans and a plain black T-shirt. It's really all I can wear here. I didn't bring extra clothes ('cause you know, I wasn't really planning this trip).  I brushed my long red curls which made no sense to do because they bunched and tangled back together. I brushed my teeth and yanked the door to the stairs open.

I walked down the stairs. As I approached the kitchen, I heard yelling. Not wanting to barge into conversation, I waited. I also wanted to eavesdrop.

"-I don't care what you think is best. She needs to go now." A voice I recognized to be the stingy Mayor sounded.

"Take it easy you two." Her silky voice was back to normal. "No need to get angry. She can leave in a few days. That way Jack has his time and The Mayor has his time to fix things."

Jacks voice sounded sad and begging. "But that isn't enough time-"

"It surely is too much time!"

"No-"

"Yes-"

Yelling broke out. Despite Sally's screaming at them, it sounded like one of the boys tackled the other. Chairs and plates hit the floor.

I decided to walk in after Sally stopped yelling. I surveyed the scene in front of me. Somehow (I have no idea how) The Mayor had Jack pinned to the ground. The front of Jack's tuxedo was clutched in one of the Mayors' hand, the other up ready to punch. Jack's hands were up in a surrending gesture. I looked at the table to find Sally's head in her hand, shaking it back in forth like "these two are ridiculous."

Jack got up easily pushing the short man off from on top of him. He dusted and straightened his suit. "If you will excuse me, I'll be going with Skia on a trip around town. " He strode by me, nodding at me to follow.

What other choice did I have?

I walked behind Jack. His mouth was set in a scowl. I took my chances in talking (quiet is best for a mad Jack Skellington).

"Can I see Spiral Hill?" I asked. Since I got here I have been dying to see that famous hill of Halloween Town.

I watched as Jacks shoulders tensed more than they already were. I bite my lip in anticipation.

He turned to face me. "I don't think that wouldn't be a good idea. But if you really want to we can." He looked behind him at the Mayors house. "It will take a while. It is across the town. The moon will be rising when we get there."

"That isn't that long. The days here are short anyway right? And its almost midday. I am just dying to see this place." I begged with my eyes, not my voice.

"Okay. We are definitely going." I knew Jack loved to break the rules. I mean, me coming here was against the rules.

The entire walk there, I could tell Jack was mad and sad. I've never seen those two feelings expressed together so cruelly. I just followed and kept my distance. When we finally arrived he sat at the edge of the hill. Now I could tell he was worried. As he stared into the moon, I looked down. I expected a pumpkin patch like in the movie. It was pitch black. Like an abyss.