Ch. 1 : Arrival

The cloud of dust, roused by her mother's car, settled. Piper stood at the edge of the dirt road, her luggage at her feet. She was going to be working for the next eight weeks at Silver Mountain's Fine Arts Camp (SMFA). The camp was a recreational camp for kids ranging in age from seven to fifteen.

Realizing that no one was coming to welcome her, she took a deep breath, picked up her luggage, and walked toward the office building several yards away. The sun was beating down on her, but a gentle breeze made the temperature more bearable. The camp was very "back woodsy." Tall pine trees hung over the grounds. At the far end of the camp were only woods. Piper was excited, but also nervous; she was going to be the art teacher. She almost floated up the steps. The door handle turned effortlessly; the door opened just as easily. Piper walked into the beautiful building and was aware that she was being watched.

"Hello. Can I help you?" the lady behind the desk asked.

"I'm Piper Coenen, the art teacher."

"Oh, yes! I'm glad you made it. Have you been to your cabin yet?"

Piper glanced at her suitcase as she answered, "I just got here a few minutes ago."

"Oh, of course. I'm so sorry. I'm a bit busy at the moment so I can't show you around, but if you'll wait right here I'll find someone who can."

With that, the lady left through a back door. Piper looked around as she waited. There were nature pictures on the wall that immediately caught her eye. She was studying them when the lady returned with a tall, young man following behind. Piper tried not to stare at the teenager, but she was instantly intrigued by him. His dark brown hair peeked out of his navy blue beanie. Piper was surprised at how well the beanie matched his eyes. He was definitely over six foot, yet somehow he didn't make Piper feel short. His muscle tank was loose on him, but it suited him well, and Piper could tell he was outdoorsy by his cargo shorts.

"This is," the lady started, but she was interrupted by the phone. "Just show her around, please?" she said to him as she answered the obnoxious phone.

He and Piper walked out of the office and down the path a few yards without saying a word. Then...

"Can I carry something for you?" he asked.

"No, thank you. I'm fine."

"I'm Michael."

"I'm Piper."

Michael and Piper continued to talk a little as Michael showed her around the camp. There was a dining hall; a "school" building; an Activity building; a pond for swimming, boating, and fishing; and many cabins. Finally, they stopped in front of cabin eight, which was located farther back in the woods than any other cabin.

"This is your cabin. You have a few roommates and I think they are in the cabin right now so hopefully they can help you settle in. Dinner is at five. See you there."

Michael walked back down the trail, and Piper entered her temporary abode for the next eight weeks. Five other girls were in the cabin. They all stared at Piper until one of them walked up to her and shook her hand.

"Hi! Welcome to camp and our cabin. My name is Jennifer, this is Silvia, Morgan is over there, and those two are Lily and Margret." As Jennifer identified each girl, they smiled and waved at Piper.

"Are you fine sleeping on a top bunk?" Morgan asked.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. That's fine. This one?" Piper asked as she laid her suitcase down in front of the bunk-bed in the corner. After receiving a nod of approval from Morgan, Piper started to unpack.

"You can put your clothes and things in this cupboard if you like," Silvia said shyly.

The girls returned to what they were doing before Piper had intruded. After a few minutes, Lily and Margret left, then Silvia, and finally Morgan and Jennifer. Piper sat alone in the roomy cabin. She tucked her knees up to her chest and sighed, her head tilted back. She missed her sister, Madison. Madison had recently gotten married. Piper shifted her position to take her phone out of the back pocket of her shorts. Music. She needed music. After setting her iTunes for shuffle, she continued to get settled in.