Ch. 19 : Double Trouble

Piper's eyes flew open with a start. Something was wrong! Then she looked around and she noticed she was facing the cabin wall. Her heart was racing, and she let go of a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding.

Nothing was wrong. In fact, everything was good. She had her car back, and she had a boyfriend and many new friends.

"Oh good, you're up." Sylvia's voice drifted into Piper's thoughts. "I was waiting to ask you something."

Piper rolled over to see Sylvia sitting on a top bunk, holding her phone up to the ceiling, which wasn't very far above the bed. "What about?" Piper asked, curiosity beginning to wake her up.

"I asked Nick if he wanted to go to town and he said yes, but only if we bring one more. I agreed and told him I would see if you wanted to go."

"You're asking me to chaperone you two on a date?" Piper sat up and rubbed her eyes.

"It's not a date, just an outing among friends." Sylvia's voice heavy with disappointment.

"Then why didn't you ask him out on date date?"

"Because he's supposed to ask me out."

Piper got out of bed and threw on a faded pair of boot-cut blue jeans and the Spider-Man v-neck she bought while hanging out with Gabe.

"So is that a yes?" Sylvia flopped onto the bed, producing an odd squeak.

"That's a yes." She tugged on one sneaker before a thought crossed her mind. "Can I bring Michael?" Just thinking about him produced a warmth that flowed through her body.

"Sure." Sylvia stopped halfway climbing down from the bunk and held her phone up. Quickly typing something in, she climbed off completely and left the cabin.

All Piper could think after that was how interesting her day was just about to get.

————

"So glad you could join us. And by us; I mean me." Piper was greeted by Gabe as he lounged at a dining table. "But you're late for breakfast by about 4 hours."

"As long as I'm not late for lunch I won't be too grouchy." She jested back.

"Got any plans this afternoon." He sat up at the sound of the kitchen door clicking open. A flash of light on his chest caught her eye.

"I was actually invited to go to town by Sylvia." The flash turned out to be a little green sword necklace that rested against his chest and was attached to a thin black cord. "I didn't take you for a necklace person." She commented. The sword was quite detailed and beautiful, and Piper always appreciated something that was well crafted.

"Oh, this?" His eyes came back to Piper, and his hand came up to touch it lightly. "It was a gift from my ex before he was my ex. The only reason I still have it is because it's my favorite color."

"Your favorite color is green?" Piper followed where he had been looking and found that Nick was coming in and out fo the kitchen, preparing for the little meal that would be lunch. There weren't a lot of kids on the weekend, but the ones who were still there needed to be fed.

"Actually my favorite color is a bit different, but I can understand how you can confuse it." He relaxed back into his chair again. "My favorite color is smaragdine. I believe it's more of an emerald color and I guess it isn't very well known. So was it just you and Sylvia going to town?"