Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

“Yes. Tom Harkonnen here.”

Before I could refrain, I rushed forward and engulfed Tom in a tight hug. “I thought you were dead. Carly said you’d been separated from her in the initial attack.”

“I was. It’s a very long story. I’ll tell it later. But you’re sad. What is it?” He asked.

“My parents, my sister, hell even Carly, all dead within two months.” I wanted to explain that Carly had just been shot, but he looked worn out, and I didn’t want to worry him even more. “Tom, I hate to be blunt with you, but you look like crap. Go up to the guest room and get some sleep. Ask if you need anything.”

“Thanks, Hanna. I appreciate this greatly. Thank you.” With that, he trudged upstairs into the guest room.

Since my room was no longer usable, I decided to make camp on the couch. I needed to stay awake in case of any more attacks. I walked over to the linin closet and retrieved the soft brown blanket mom used to use when she was watching T.V. I walked over to the couch and sat down. Now I needed to stay awake. I looked around on the coffee table for something to read and found a book called “Shadows and Light.” I picked it up and began reading.

Clunk. Clunk. Clunk. I awoke to the sound of Tom’s rifle bouncing on his back.

“Tom was is it?” I hadn’t realized I fell asleep. I guess I was tired.

“The Zeds! They’re here!” He whispered loudly.

“Okay. Let me get my stuff.”

“Da. I’ll watch your back.” Sometimes Tom spoke in Russian. I don’t know if he thought it made him sound cool, or if it was just a natural response. Either way I kind of liked it. It reminded me that he was still my Tom.

I gathered my knife, Carly’s revolver and my Glock along with a small synch backpack filled with some food and the blanket. After about half an hour, we were standing at the front door, ready to leave. The sound of shattering glass gave us more motivation. “Go!” Tom whispered and opened the door.

Outside, the air was crisp, but the sun shone brightly, warming the earth. The smell of past rain filled my nose. The falling leaves were almost all turned to shades of amber, scarlet and saffron. A breeze rushed by my ear, ruffling my short brown hair. I hadn’t been outside during the day in nearly two months. Oh, how good it felt. But I couldn’t relish in the sunlight for long.

About a dozen Zeds were walking around obliviously like a child looking for their mother in a crowd. Tom instantly began firing; taking down three for every one I shot. I was amazed at his skill level. Last I met with him he was merely interested in guns. Not an excellent shooter. I was definitely looking forward to hearing his story now.

After taking out four Zeds, Tom ran out of ammo. Noticing, I immediately put down the remaining eight. I was pretty pleased at this accomplishment, but Tom cut right to the next thing on his mental agenda.

“We need a map of Tacoma and the surrounding areas.” He panted.

“I know a gas station near here where you might find one.” Without even responding, Tom began to sprint. I followed.

After about ten minutes of continuous running, we arrived at the gas station. I’d always been fond of this station. It was old, and looked somewhat like an old western bar. It reminded me of when I was a little kid. Tom and Carly would come over and we’d play cowboys and robbers in my backyard. I smiled as I pictured five year old Tom running around pretending to be the bad guy and Carly sneaking up from behind and tackling him. Even in kindergarten, the three of us were inseparable. The ringing of the old cowbell on the door brought me back to reality.

Everything was silent for a second. Then there were a number of moans coming from the isles. I retrieved Carly’s revolver from my belt loop, as it seemed the appropriate weapon for this setting. I looked over to Tom to see he’d pulled out a broadsword from the many weapons strung about his ensemble.

“Search for a map. I’ll cover you.” He said. I nodded and went over to the checkout where the maps and magazines were held. Frantically, I searched. After a minute of looking, I noticed something move in the polished stainless steel countertop. I whipped around to find a Zed facing away from me. Without a thought, I aimed and hit the beast right in the back of its neck, severing the connection from its lacking brain and its spinal cord. Instantly, it fell with an earth-quivering thud. I surveyed the area for more Zeds, but they seemed to all be on Tom’s side of the shop. After another minute of searching, I found a map of the Puget Sound area. Perfect. I ceased it and ran back to Tom, taking down another Zed on the way. As I was approaching, I saw Tom punch one of the Zeds right in the face, sending it backwards into the isle. He dashed forward and stabbed the thing in the eye socket with a trench knife. Very impressive.

“Is this what you were looking for?” I held up the map.

“Yes.” He snatched it from my hand and unfolded it.

“Military base. That’s where we’re going. But we have to leave before the plague reaches apocalyptic proportions.”

“Why?” I questioned.

“Because, after the apocalypse, without orders, the military will kill, loot, and burn whatever they want, without discretion.”

“Wow. Good explanation.” I was impressed at his level of wording. The Tom I left could barely conjugate a sentence correctly.

“Sorry. My training affects my speech.”

I racked my brain for some record of Tom training, but couldn’t find one. So I asked, “What training?”

“I’ll tell you later. Once we’re in a safe place.” It really got on my nerves when Tom would do this. He’d tell me little bits of something, but never quite enough to allow me to figure out the whole puzzle.

Disregarding my irritation in deciding I’d hold him to his agreement to tell me when we were “in a safe place,” I jogged with him silently along the road, occasionally hiding from a Zed. As we ran, I observed the city. The streets were littered with bodies of deceased Zeds and garbage. The grey buildings seemed to sway and sag in the frozen wind. As I looked to the top of one, I saw two small figures violently lashing at each other. After a brief fight, both fell from the roof a hundred feet or so to the rain-dampened sidewalk with a splat. I cringed at the sight and turned my head back to the road ahead of me.

After an hour after our flight from my house, we’d stopped at an old abandoned warehouse. The boring grey paint was terribly faded and the door hinges were rusted. Nonetheless, it seemed safe. We entered and locked the door behind us. Instantly, we were submerged in complete darkness. There was a moan and I heard the metallic “shink!” of Tom’s broadsword and a thunk as the Zed’s head hit the floor. I shuddered. I pulled two flashlights from my bag and, turning them both on, handed one to Tom.

It seemed were safe, so I decided to ask “Now will you tell me about your training?”

“Fine. I’ll tell the story.” He said, and began.