Chapter Ten

CHAPTER TEN

     I looked at the man. He was tall and thin, but a muscular thin. He was handsome, with dark skin and dark, distracted eyes. He just stood there loosely carrying a semi-auto carbine pointed towards the nearby IV drips.

     Tom brought his index finger to his lips, reached into his jacket and pulled out a small dagger. He handed it to me, and instantly I knew his plan. I positioned myself so that I could clearly see the IV drips. Tom drew his Crusader sword and moved silently through the shadows. I watched as he made his way to his destination and crouch there, watching the man. There was a moment of silence as Tom sat there, waiting for the moment when he would attack, like a lion stalking her prey. In one sudden movement, he shot up and punched the man square in the face, knocking him to the tile floor. The man was surprised, but he soon raised his gun clumsily. This was too easy for Tom. Easily, he disarmed the man. The rifle slid across the floor towards me, and I picked it up. The fight was intense, but soon Tom had him up against the wall, knife at his throat and muttered something to him that left the man scared and shaking. That’s when the moaning started. The fight must’ve alerted the Zeds, because soon they were filling the halls. There was no way we could escape this one without killing them. I started shooting with Carly’s revolver, hitting a Zed for each bullet shot. But Tom wasn’t doing anything. He couldn’t expect me to handle this on my own, could he? As if answering my question, Tom pulled out a Molotov Cocktail and threw it into the cluster of Zeds. Without a thought, the three of us dove for cover. There was a muffled BOOM! as the Zeds were blown away. Unfortunately, this was a poor bomb, so some of the Zeds made it into the room we were in. Tom severed the head of the first, and soon I was hitting Zeds like they were target practice. Together, we had shot every one of the things in a matter of seconds.

As Tom was taking care of the last couple Zeds, I grabbed the man and had him help me stuff medical supplies into my backpack. After we finished, we left the hospital. As we approached the door, I could see the light of dawn. It was a beautiful morning, one that I would’ve liked to watch, with soft pinks and yellows outlining the broken city. I thought back to when my life was normal- when I had disregarded sunrises like this. Back then, they seemed grey and boring. But now, with my new perspective, they seemed so beautiful. My thoughts were soon interrupted by Tom.

“Hanna, did you get all the medical supplies you think we need?”

“Yes.” I replied.

     “Then I hope you don’t mind if I do this,” Tom pulled out another Molotov Cocktail and threw it into the hospital. There was a small explosion as the last of the Zeds groaned for the last time. Tom then tore a piece of cloth from his shirt and tied it tightly around the man’s wrists. He made a remark, but shut up when Tom delivered a warning punch to the back of his head.

     “Let’s go,” Tom said. On the way, Tom explained that we would be going to the sewer, as Zeds and humans were unlikely to look there for our guest.

Two hours later, I cringed as the stench of rot and waste filled my nostrils. Tom was right; no one was there. It almost looked as if we were still living normal lives, although in reality our lives were about as abnormal as abnormal could get. We trudged through the muck for about 20 minutes until we found the security officer’s room. It was dark, but I could see as Tom drew his waste-stained blade. We entered the room, and immediately heard the low moan of a single Zed. It emerged into the flickering light, and I could see bullet holes scattered across its body and a spear stuck smack in the middle of its chest. Tom slashed at the thing, and after a couple swings, it plopped to the floor with a thud. Tom effortlessly kicked the beat out of the room, and pushed the man into the bloody chair near the security cameras.