Chapter Twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE

We trudged back through the sewer, almost completely silent. When we finally got to the ladder, I climbed up first and poked my head out of the manhole. I squinted in the evening sun and, once making sure that the coast was clear, pushed myself onto the street.

“The coast’s clear. You can come on up.” I said to Tom who responded by pushing himself up next to me.

“Nice fighting back there.” He looked over at me and smiled. It was almost as if we had survived hell, as we looked at our salvation.

I smiled back and returned the compliment. “Should we get going?”

“Yeah, if we want to find shelter before the sun sets.” Tom said, but didn’t get up. I didn’t either. For some reason, I felt like I needed to sit there, looking at the sun slowly setting behind the burning hills. Somehow, this sunset seemed different. It seemed beautiful. I think Tom felt the same way, and so we just sat in the middle of the road, watching as the sky changed from blue to pink and orange. Not talking. Just sitting there. After a while, Tom’s voice shattered the silence.

“Hanna?”

“Yeah?”

“You’re my best friend, you know that? I think of you like a sister. I know that we’ve been through hell, and I should be messed up about it, but I’m not. I actually feel closer to you than ever.”

“I get what you mean. And the feeling is mutual. You’re like my brother, Tom. I love you.”

“I love you too, Hanna.”

And that was the end of our conversation. We continued to watch the sun. I actually felt happy, for the first time since this whole mess started, despite my dislike for sunsets. Right as a smile begun to emerge on my face, I heard someone come up from behind us. Quickly, I spun around, only to feel a sharp, piercing pain in my stomach. I looked up and saw Hadrian, a sly grin on his mouth. Everything seemed to be in slow motion as I fell on my back. My hand moved to my stomach where I felt the blade stabbed deep into me, serrated ridges digging like separate ice picks. A gun fired, flecks blood spurting from Hadrian's skull, and I heard Hadrian flop onto the street.

“Hanna!” Tom rushed to my side, and held my head in his lap. A few of my friends before now would've called this an awkward moment, but I didn't care.

“Tom? How bad is it?” I croaked.

“It’s pretty deep. But you’ll be okay. You’ll be okay.” The nervousness in his voice was obvious.

“I’m not going to live, Tom.” The pain pressed in, like walls crushing my brain.

“Yes you are. I won’t let you die. I swear upon my honor as your brother.” I felt a tear roll down his face and drop to my forehead. It felt warm as it hit my face. I hadn’t seen Tom cry since he was nine.

“It’ll be okay, Tom. Go on. Be strong.”

“No, Hanna. Don’t die on me. You will not die on me, Hanna! Look at me. Look into my eyes.”

“Look at the sunset, Tom. Isn’t it beautiful?” And with that, I closed my eyes, ready to set with the sun, my vision blackening as the sky turned to night.