Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR

I shook my head and re-captured my surroundings. I must have drifted into thought of the past. I was still in my room, taking watch. This routine had been going on for the past two months. During the day, Carly and I would explore the tunnels, occasionally meeting up with Zeds along the way. We had never managed to get into the third tunnel, for the Zeds seemed to multiply every time we shot one down. We ended up stacking the metal tables from the chrome room in front of the entrance, so that the Zeds couldn’t get through. But we also realized that when we went back to where the ladder to the study was, there was another tunnel leading to the left. It was fairly short, and lead to some sort of training room. There were targets for shooting practice, a fitness area and a hydration station. Once found, Carly and I spent a lot of time training down there, and after two months, I was strong and ready for a fight with the Zeds.

One night every week, we’d go out to the market near my house and take the food and ammunition needed for survival. During sleeping hours, Carly and I took shifts to make sure no Zeds were coming. This was the life we’d adapted to, and it seemed as though it would always remain this way. But tonight, everything was going to change.

I checked the clock. It was time for Carly’s shift. Good thing, because I was getting ready to fall asleep. I got up to wake her, but I didn’t have time to. With a loud thud, Zeds poured through the door. I had no idea how they were able to get through the blockade. They must’ve been getting stronger.

Instantly, I disengaged the safety on my Glock and began shooting. Not a minute later, Carly was up with me, taking down several each minute. The battle was tough. I shot one down and watched as it fell. As expected, no blood gushed from the wound.

Over the months, the Zeds had become more concentrated, transforming much more quickly than my first encounter. We had assumed that they didn’t bleed due to instant blood clot as they were shot. Why, we didn’t know. I looked over to Carly. She was struggling to re-load the revolver, and the Zeds were overpowering her. I took a couple down, but they outnumbered me greatly. Carly dropped the ammo and the bullets rolled all over the floor. By now, the Zeds were crowding my bedroom, making the foul stench of rotting flesh almost unbearable. One clumsily knocked over my lit desk lamp, setting my room to flames. Carly and I ran out, slamming the door behind us.

“I’ll go get the extinguisher from downstairs.” I turned away, and was soon back, extinguisher in hand. In a cloud of smoke and ash, I quickly snuffed the fire. Peering back in, we noticed all of the Zeds had burned.

“Well that’s one way to get rid of them.” Carly remarked. I turned to give her a grin, but instead saw the Zed coming up from behind her.

“Carly!” I shouted, but it was too late. The Zed had already bitten deep into the side of her neck. I immediately shot the Zed, and it released Carly.

“Carly! Are you okay?” I ran to her side and sat down next to her.

“It got me. I guess I had to go sometime…” She said in a strained tone.

“No. You don’t have to turn. You can fight this.” My chest felt tight and my eyes began to redden.

“Hanna, you’re right. I don’t have to turn.”

“That’s right, just stay strong. You can pull through. I know you can.” I squeezed her hand tightly, not wanting to let go.

“No, I can’t beat it either. It’s either I turn, or I die.” She swallowed hard and began to shake.

“What are you saying?”

“I’m saying shoot me, Hanna Priest. Don’t make me suffer.”

Her words baffled me for a brief moment, but I soon spoke. “No. I can’t. I won’t.”

“I’d rather die than become one of them. I’m begging you, please.” She began to cry, and I with her.

“I don’t think I can. You’re my best friend, Carls. I don’t know how I’ll live without you.”

“Just do it. Close your eyes and fire. Don’t be afraid.” Her words were hoarse and choked. I could tell she badly wanted to go. I’d have to shoot her anyway, Zed or human.

“Fine. But promise me you’ll save me a spot in heaven?”

“You know I don’t believe in that stuff.” She smiled.

I raised my gun and placed my finger on the trigger. Right before I was about to shoot, she stopped me. “Hanna?”

“Yeah?”

“I love you.”

“I love you too, Carls.” I shut my eyes and prepared to fire.

“There are many instances in life where we are afraid. But if we never do, how will we grow? In the last moment of my life, I am not afraid. As Roosevelt said, ‘there is nothing to fear but fear itself.’ I stand by that now, in my dying words. Stay strong, Hanna Priest.” Those were the last words I would ever hear Carly Winfield say. I pulled the trigger, and heard the last struggled breath release from her. I opened my eyes to see the dead body of my friend in front of me. I could no longer hold back the tears. I was crying uncontrollably. Now I had absolutely nothing left. My friends gone, my room burned, my family turned. What I was going to do, I didn’t know. I may as well die. I retreated to my room, and sat on the charred mattress, blubbing. After a while, my cries were reduced to sniffles. I curled up in a tight ball and wiped my tears away with the sleeve of my dark grey sweatshirt. Once I had stopped crying, I noticed a sound coming from downstairs. I froze, and listened closer. There was a moan, and then a sickening thud. I loaded the Glock and crept from my room. Not paying attention, I hit a creak in the floor. I could see a tall silhouette, obviously male. Another person? Possibly.

He turned around to face me, and I saw he was wearing some sort of Samurai mask. I aimed my gun right in between his eyes and he froze. “Who are you?” I tried to conceal my saddened tone, but failed.

He pulled off the mask. “Forget who I was already, Hanna?” Instantly, I knew who it was.

“Tom?”