Entry 6

I wonder how much my soul knew of what I was doing to myself in coming here. Meeting new people is a two-edged sword. We meet them – we miss them. I just know that for me, it is worth the trade off...it reminds me of the saying "It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved." With this thought, I put on my big girl pants today and was on my way to see the secret sequoia grove which Yvonne and John told me about. I am sworn to secrecy about its location, but it wasn't easy to find anyway – even with specific directions.

First, I found my way to the back of an unnamed campground. Then, I navigated to the spot where the trail was supposed to be. After a bit of wandering and pondering, I found the trail head. In no time at all, I reached the sequoia grove about 2.5 miles down the trail. When I rounded the corner and saw the first tree...gate keeper of the sequoia grove...I lost my breath. Even though I had seen General Sherman at the visitor's center, this was different. A feeling of awesome appreciation overcame me as I admired the grandeur of the solemn grove. I was happy that they were free in the wilderness with no fences or signs (unlike the other trees near the tourist locations). It was obvious that these trees were a family...and a strong one at that.

After spending some time in the grove and waiting for a hiker to come along and take a photo of me with the amazing giants, I skipped away with contentment knowing that the family of sequoias would remain. Further along, I found myself on top of a GIANT rock No - actually, it was a rock mountain...in the middle of the forest. I ran on top of it and explored its boundaries like a child. It was sunny, but the wind favored this bald boulder so I had to put on my long sleeves. Finally, I went back to the mustang and carried on...to Buck Rock.

First, I came to a narrow gravel road and had to decide if the mustang could handle it. She whispered a purr of approval and off we went...up the bumpy maze. About halfway, she confidently requested to nap roadside. I walked the remainder of the journey to the top of Buck Rock. There, I climbed the lookout tower and met Bob, the ranger on duty. He was intently watching a forest fire in Kings Canyon. Apparently, the fire started with a strike of lightening the day after I arrived in California. Now, it is threatening to cross the river which would be a serious offense. Hopefully, all will work out and the fire will calm down as I had planned to visit the canyon tomorrow and jump from the John Muir Rock.

So, now we are all caught up with my travel adventures for now. If I am able to visit Kings Canyon tomorrow, I may even see a bear. Many others have sighted bears during my travels, but I still have not. For the evening tomorrow, perhaps I will visit Redwood Canyon as Bob suggested. And, as always, I'm sure there will be an adventurous soul eager to plan my next route. Otherwise, I will read over the list John left for me...

BTW, when Yvonne and John left, they gave me their campsite - the BEST one in the camp ground. It's views are enchanting! I'm QUEEN of the camp and LOVING it!