Chapter 25

I have no idea why, but this was one of the hardest chapters for me to write. Most of this chapter I'm not proud of, and it's actually my least favorite chapter. A part of me is tempted to put the story on hiatus, but I don't want to do that to you guys. Hopefully next chapter will easier and get released faster. I hate making you guys wait so long but for some reason having short chapters really bother me. :(
________________________________________________

Grayson's point of view-

My eyes stared blankly at the fleet of airships hovering in the vast partially cloudy sky; beginning to burn from remaining unblinking for what felt like an eternity. The air in my lungs felt like it had been stripped away from my lungs, leaving my chest in ache as I yearned for a new breath of fresh oxygen. My body was trembling and my heart raced, pounding inside of my ribcage as if trying to break free. I was filled with an immense dread, my body standing there completely frozen from shock.
So that sick b*****d decided to follow us; to finally do something on his own? I knew that he was a persistent man, but I never expected him to get off of his a** and come all the way up here to get us himself. I didn't know if this was a new high or a new low for him, but I was well aware that the emperor would do anything to get what he wants. Anything.
I inhaled deeply as I was snapped out of my trancelike thoughts, once again becoming aware of my surroundings. I looked at the others to my left, then to the right where Drake stood. He was looking up at the airships, his hood blocking most of his face, but I could see him gritting his teeth as if annoyed and angered. His fists were clutching tightly, and would have dug into his flesh if not for the gloves. I could only imagine the thoughts going through his head, probably remembering the torture he went through...

  "Grayson..." My head turned to gaze at Luke. His orange and blue eyes were wide with shock and a hint of fear behind his orbs. "What do we do?"

He's asking me for what we're supposed to do? Well, I was a commander after all so I suppose it's understandable. I chocked as I tried to answer calmly but when my words finally came out, it was anything but calm. I spun around on my heels, and pointed to the cave as sweat rolled down my face. We have to get out of here and get going before it's too late.

"Everyone, get your supplies and put out the fire! We have to go, now!" I demanded.

As everyone else ran to get their things, Xavier picked up Jane since he didn't really have any supplies to go retrieve. The young girl wrapped her arms around her fathers neck, still looking up into the sky filled with flying ships. It must have been a sight for sore eyes to her, but to us it was anything but mesmerizing. In a good way at least.
Luke still stood by my side, his backpack already firmly on his shoulders. He still had his sword on his back, with his dagger and a few kunai knifes in his belt. He still had his bow, a bit damaged but still operable. He seemed to have everything checked out.
My gaze shifted to Drake once more, who continued to stare as if in a daze. My body turned and head tilted as my brow lowered. I could hear him growing and hissing faintly, seeing his breath rise in the cold air. His lips were slightly moving as if he was mumbling to himself, which bothered me. With his illness and fatigue and low life force, I was afraid that something horrible was going to happen to him. I had to stay by his side all the way through this.

Finally I decided to speak up. "Drake, are you alright?" I asked, despite knowing that after what happened, he probably wasn't.

He turned his head, his baggy eyes looking at me with tears still streaming down his face. Every time I looked at him, I was still surprised by how pale his human skin had grown with his cheek a purplish blue color. Even the dark circles around his eyes I had still not grown used to. He sniffed as he looked at me, tears still glistening in his purple and white eyes.