♚ Move #17:

Of Greco-Roman mythology, the gods of skies, seas and under may seem to hold the most dominion, but are the others of any less import? Not necessarily, yes? Wisdom is a powerful thing, and that is the domain of Athene. War. Youth. Sun. Moon. Wilderness. All have their masters.

Why Edgar Vanderman picked what he did? I have no idea. My father has always been eccentric beyond eccentricity, really. In my opinion, that is neither a positive nor a negative trait. I would say with absolute truthfulness that I have no desire to be like him one day. For one thing, I would never name my children after shadows and death. How abnormal is that? At least mine passes halfway decently as a name in itself, but it’s a pity that my brother had to endure school. Not that I know if he went to school at all…

A goddess of the night and a demon representing death.

Nyx and Thanatos.

Father has horrible taste. I hope others don’t consider me as much a personification of my name as my eponym is a personification of night. She is after all, born from Chaos and the consort of Darkness. The power and beauty parts, I can tolerate. I’d also hate to think of my brother as having grown up to dabble in death.

I would have understood if my father was going through some sort of phase at time back at my birth, if adult males even went through phases. However, that does not account at all for the moment, eight years later, when he gave my brother an equally unacceptable name. He must be proud of his eccentricity. He’d always liked elaborate displays.

Oh, I also just remembered. Nyx is supposedly the mother of Thanatos too as recorded in certain texts. It is somewhat awkward, but I suppose I took on a maternal figure for a few short years back then.

I miss my kid brother. He’d always been so sweet, like any other toddler, I would imagine. He was fond of me, as far as I knew, and the feeling was mutual. I had nothing against him. He was fresh companionship, even if rather limited in communication.

Then, just like that~ no more little brother. Spirited off.

Edgar Vanderman makes the strangest, most incomprehensible decisions.