Paw Upon My Heart

As I took a step forward and stumbled, my boot got stuck in the mud.

I don't even know why I let him lead me into the forest. I looked behind me and saw the lights of my house slowly disappearing. I hope we're not gone too long, there are wild animals that live in this area "Max? Where are you taking me? It's getting dark." I asked nervously."It's a suprise, I can't tell you." he replied back with a grin.

I jumped over a log and tripped into Max's open arm's. He looked down at me, smiled and said "We're here." He put his hands over my eyes and led me forward. I soon felt his hands let go and I opened my eyes. My jaw dropped, my eyes began to water and I felt as if my heart was going to burst from my chest. I was in awe looking around at all the work Max had done turning the clearing into what could have been a scene from the most romantic movie.

There in front of me were lights hanging from the trees, a blanket spread out with a picnic that had the most beautiful bottle I had ever seen placed neatly in the centre. It was facing the lake with an amazing view of the rising moon beginning to peak out from behind the clouds.

I turned to Max, tears now flowing down my cheeks. He pulled me into a hug and he whispered in my ear "Happy Birthday my Angel."

Those are the last memories I have of Max alive before his life was ripped from him in a horrific slaughter.