Chapter 8

When eight o'clock finally rolled around, Vincent was prepared. He'd even sifted through the remaining boxes to find his toothbrush. Finally. Get that squared away.

He looked in his mirror one last time- purple shirt, white suspenders, black jeans. He sighed happily, giving the suspenders a snap. He was ready for this. He's got this, right? Yeah. He wasn't nervous at all. He walked out the door resolutely and over to his neighbor's... then paused.

This wasn't... this wasn't a date, was it? He didn't know how Scott felt about that... sort of thing. And, he didn't know how Scott felt about him... or how he felt about Scott. Wait, no, no, this was all ridiculous. He didn't like Scott like that. They were just friends... just neighbors.

He took a deep breath and knocked on the door. It was just a carnival... fun and games and rides and food. Food... he hadn't had funnel cakes and elephant ears since he was a little kid. He couldn't wait for it... of course, this was all a little childish of him... oh well. Too late now. But that didn't mean he wouldn't beat himself up over it all night.

Scott opened the door, looking his neighbor up and down. "... nice suspenders."

"Thanks, uh... nice... outfit."

He smiled. "Thanks. Now, shall we go?"

"Of course." Vincent tried to keep from screaming as he walked out with Scott. Scott hadn't slammed the door in his face, or laughed at him... and he was so nervous, so excited... he clenched his fists. Calm down, he told himself, everything's going to be fine.

As they arrived to the carnival (only a block or two from the apartment complex; however, Vincent obviously complained the whole way), Vincent started looking around like a child in a candy store. So many rides, so many prizes, all the food he remembered from the old fairs and more... his mouth watered just thinking about it.

"Well? Where to first?"

"Oh, geez, I don't know..." He laughed nervously. "This is a lot of stuff... what about the funhouse first?"