Chapter Twelve | DMC?

Look outside

Look outside. Make sure he doesn't complete his dare.
-CC

I suppose my wishful thinking for easy tasks were over. I got up from my desk and looked outside. I saw Jacob. He was slipping on a leather jacket whilst walking out of his house. Only the downstairs lights were on and his mother's car wasn't in the driveway. She must be at work.

I shoved on my converses and grabbed my hoodie. I needed to stop Jacob, I just had to think of a way. I quietly made my way down the stairs. I still had time before my curfew but it wouldn't help if my parents woke up and told me to go to bed. Technically no rules were being broken.

I set an alarm 15 minutes before my curfew and checked Pokemon Go! as I originally was. There was an Exeggcute around! I wish I could just catch that instead.

I grabbed my house keys and slowly shut the front door. I hope my parents don't get up!

Jacob was pacing the pavement in front of his houses. He looked a bit conflicted. He took a cigarette out of his pocket and lit it. The red glow of the bed could be seen clearly. What the hell was stressing Jacob to the point of smoking? What cliche dare-thing is this?

I walked up to him and said, "Boo."

He had already heard my footsteps so he wasn't actually surprised to see me. His reaction was an unenthusiastic fake scream. We were standing near a lamp. A moment of silence passed us. No need to bruise my ego, I know I'm not scary.

"Ella... What are you doing here?" He asked curiously.

"Oh well you know I could hear your thoughts all the way from my room so I wanted to see what's up..." I said lightly. We both know I was anything but joking right now.

"Oh," was all Jacob replied before wandering off with his thoughts. I don't think he was expecting that sort of reply from me. He took a puff of his cigarette, before looking up and slowly releasing the smoke into the dark night. I didn't wait for him to say anymore. If he didn't want to talk, he didn't have to.

"Come on, I need to catch a Pokemon," I said, giving him a way out of this conversation.

We walked side by side in sync. My phone softly playing the background music to Pokemon Go! as we went around the block. I didn't feel the need to say anything. People can find comfort in silent company. There was a slight breeze and the temperature had dropped since earlier. I'm so glad I grabbed my hoodie before I left!

My phone vibrated. It was the Exeggcute. I stopped and started catching the Pokemon. Jacob halted a few strides ahead of me. He threw his cigarette bud on the ground and crushed it with his boot. I pretended to put 100% of my concentration into playing Pokemon. I was swiping when Jacob started speaking, "There's just too much going on. I don't even know where to start..."

"How about start with what you're willingly to tell me?" I suggested. I sat down on the pavement near a lamp post and tapped the space next to me, gesturing for him to sit down. He sat down, his legs outstretched, using his arms to balance as he leaned back.

He paused, thinking over his next words carefully, before saying, "What if you were dared to steal a personal item of someone else?"

Okay, that was not what I was expecting. Here I was thinking it was something to do with your parents but obviously you're not ready to talk about that. Oh well, therapists can't be choosers.

"Well place yourself in the other person's shoes. How would you react? Would you be happy? Angry?" I advised. If everyone tried to look at things from other people's points of view, it wouldn't be such a bad world.

"I'd probably hunt them down and I'd be majorly pissed," He replied after a bit of thought.

"Then the answer is obvious, don't do it," I replied.

"If all the answers to all my problems were so simple," he said before he let out a dry laugh.

My alarm went off, killing the mood in the process. I had to get home. Jacob stood up and then gave me a helping hand to get up. I switched off my alarm. A car drove down the road, stopping in front of us. Ok everyone, this is the moment I've been waiting for! I'm finally going to get kidnapped by a werewolf!

Instead, I was disappointed. It was Calvin. He rolled down the passenger window and shouted to us, "Get in! I wanna go party!"

I shook my head, and replied "Nope, I have to go home."

"Fine! Well Jacob and I will go," he sounds like a disgruntled toddler. Is he seriously crossing his arms?

"Dude," I checked the time, "My curfew is in ten minutes."

"Can I convince you to rebel?" Calvin tried.

"Nope, I want to sleep," I replied.

"You're always tired!" He whined. I'd get more sleep if it wasn't for this CC business but yeah...

"I know and no I'm going to go home to sleep," I said whilst emphasising on the word sleep.

"Ok, ok we get the point. Let's drop her first," Jacob butted in. I got in the back seat whilst Jacob got in the passenger seat.

I enjoyed the momentary warmth of the car as Calvin zoomed around the block. I could feel someone looking at me. I looked up to catch Calvin's eye in the mirror before quickly glancing down. Awkward eye contact is the worst kind of awkward.

Calvin stopped in front of my house. I unbuckled my seat belt and said a quick thanks. I quietly opened the door and heard the car drive off at the same time the door clicked closed. I jumped into bed, trying to fall off to sleep, but my mind couldn't help but wonder over today's events. 

I really need to do some research on this cliche stuff...

~*~

Those moments when you expect DMCs but the person is actually thinking about cheese.