Chapter Thirty | Jealousy

The next morning, the school was still buzzing

The next morning, the school was still buzzing. People were mindlessly gossiping about dates and dresses. I paid no attention to it as it would get worse tomorrow. This town had nothing better going on so this was one of the highlights of the year for most students. I just didn't have any interest in it.

I managed to avoid most of the talk but I was at my locker, when I somehow caught a interesting conversation about Ashton whilst I was taking out some books. Two girls from my class were gossiping and discussing which were the most eligible guys to take as a date. Well it looks like one more mystery will be solved.

"What about that cute guy, Ashton?"

"Oh yeah! But I heard he's taking someone else already... Apparently he asked her out already."

"Well you should try! Maybe you might be able to get him before he asks whoever else. It could be all just a rumour."

"True, true. What about that other guy in Chemistry..."

I tuned out of the conversation as the girls started talking about another guy she was interested in asking. I closed my locker and made my way to my first class. Poor girl is going to find out that for once its unfortunately not rumours.

The excitement continued to build around me but I ignored most of it. Honestly, I was ready to band my head against the wall if I heard the word dress, ball, shoes or date one more time. Just think about that long weekend of sleep, sleep and sleep.

Emily had disappeared for the day and was probably with some other poor souls gushing about dresses and stuff. I had been meaning to ask her about her date but I'd do it tomorrow so I could avoid her nagging about the charity ball. Max must've taken her elsewhere seeing as I only saw Ashton and Calvin yesterday during my shift. Hopefully he took her somewhere nice and I don't have to go find some sort of bat to injury Max. He's a nice guy, it would be a shame...

I shook my head as I headed to my free period. I would be tutoring Jacob today as well. I sighed. The day would be over soon. I'm just glad that CC hasn't got me running around like a mad thing.

I sat down and waited for Jacob to pitch up. Whilst I was digging around in my bag, someone pulled the chair out next to me. Expecting Jacob, I greeted them, only to be slightly surprised by Marissa's presence.

She sat next to me with a look of indifference, but I knew better. She meant business otherwise she would be somewhere else completely. Plus I'm 100% sure she's usually not in this free period with me.

"So, how can I help you?" I broke the silence. Marissa continued to look at her nails for a while as if she didn't hear me. I just waited. I'm sure she wants to be dramatic.

"Stay away from Jacob," she finally threatened. I should probably act more surprise but this was our usual routine.

They both had been an on and off couple during the summer and our paths had crossed one too many times. We usually stayed away from each other. Not that we had much of an issue with each other until Jacob came into the picture. She had always given me a few small warning but they must be official at the moment if she's going this far to threaten. So much effort for a guy... Is dating even worth it?

"It's a bit hard to do so when one is helping him with maths," I replied with a poker face. She glared at me. Her comes the line about seduction. I swear I've read this somewhere... Must've been one of Emily's books.

"I know what you're doing! You're trying to steal him away from. Don't act so innocent," she rambled. I struggled not to roll my eyes at her. Can I get a new script please?

"Stay then," I cut her off, "Then you can see I'm not going to steal your precious man. Then you can see we're only friends."

"What?" she responded. She had stopped looking at her perfectly manicured nails but instead looking at me, for once. Oh sorry, I don't feel like begging about my innocent friendship.

"You heard me. Stay, I'm sure he will be here in a minute or two," I repeated. I wasn't backing down.

"Fine." She crossed her arms and huffed. It's your education you'll be missing out over a boy, not mine.

I shrugged, taking out my phone to entertain myself. It's not like we're going to continue this conversation.

"Hey," Jacob paused at looked between myself and Marissa. He's probably wondering what's going on, since we usually stay as far away as possible from each other.

Jacob gave Marissa a quick peck before taking a seat. He took out his stuff but kept glancing at us sceptically. Well we haven't said anything to him.

He cleared him throat, "So... What did I do?"

"Nothing, Marissa wants to make sure I'm actually teaching maths and not seducing you," I explained as if I was talking about the weather. Jacob started to laugh but quickly covered it up with a cough when he saw Marissa glaring at him.

"Marissa?" he looked at her. She gave him a look that told him that she was 100% serious.

"Anyway," I broke up the staring, "let's get down the work. Let's see how you did with the problems I left you with last time."

He handed me the papers and we started doing maths. I helped him with a new topic and went over some examples. Marissa soon lost interest and started to look bored. She was probably sticking around to keep face. As she can see we are actually working and not getting funky.

The bell rang, so I gave Jacob some work to complete for our lesson next week. I packed up my things getting ready to leave for class. I looked Marissa in the eye and said, "I told you so."

Jacob would probably get to the bottom of her behaviour later on but at least she knew her precious relationship was saved from me. I left the lovely couple and walked towards my next class.

I pulled out my phone to check the time to see I had a message. I had received whilst teaching. I had forgot about it because I was busy. I opened the message.

You have received one third of your final credit for completing one subset of your project.   Your other two subset projects are pending and are still under review. Please continue to finish the last two subset of your projects to receive all your credits.
-CC

The message was from the first CC number. I was surprised to be honest. Did I really finish a project correctly? Which one did I do?

I didn't have time to ponder and put each the projects through a process of elimination because I had arrived at my next class.

Maybe I can do that later after my shift today?

~*~

Maths is extremely seductive apparently.