Chapter 1

DAHLIA

"I am sorry, but I have bad news. I had a look through your tests, and we have found a tumor. However, I could tell you--"

I stopped hearing the doctor's words as the word tumor echoed inside of my head. Everything around me seemed like a blur like I was shifted into another dimension.

A voice broke my train of thoughts, "Did you hear me?"

I asked, flustered, "What?"

The doctor's voice dimmed, "I understand that this news is upsetting, but we have options. We can start with---"

Options cost money and I have none, nothing unless the job that I can barely hold.

I interrupted him, "And how much would all of this cost me?"

The doctor took some time to answer, but eventually, he answered me, "These procedures are expensive."

I told him, "Doctor, you know my situation. I don't have money or insurance. I don't have many options."

Orphaned since I was a baby and never was able to find a good family who took pity on me to adopt. I was unlucky in many ways, especially in my foster care homes, where I was treated like an object. Still, I stood up every day and faced the music with the hope that I couldn't let it die.

However, with this news...

After the echoing silence, I asked, "How long do I have?"

The job at the diner barely covered my rent, much less this treatment. Although, I prided myself on the small job I did as the waitress. I was fortunate enough to bake my special cakes for the diner and with that I earned a little more.

The doctor answered me, "If left untreated, I am afraid few months if you are lucky."

Dreams were always fleeting.

A dream with a happy family, a job that I loved to do, a nice and warm house. Small things were so valuable that some people seemed to forget. The reality hit me when I understood that the family that I most desired will never come and my bakery shop's dream to sell cakes and cupcakes would never be possible.

Now, running out of time, as well.

I was unlucky now, and always.

Not enough to fulfill my dreams, not enough to live.

The doctor continued, "I know that you need time to think, but the sooner this treatment is completed, the better the chances of you surviving and live a long life. But you must act now."

I announced, "I have somewhere to be, doctor. Thank you."

Without waiting for much or the doctor's cries to stay behind, I stood up and walked away. I couldn't bear to be in that room because it suffocated me.

There was nothing I could do.

The fate was sealed.

-------

Author's note:

Hi guys,

Firstly those who read the previous version, you guys are amazing. Thank you so much, you made me so happy. Over the years, things got busy with university and I didn't have much time to write. But I am going to start updating. 

Those who are first-time readers of my story. Thank you I do appreciate you coming here and reading. 

Leave comments and likes!

Thank you all for reading my story. :)