Chapter Two

"You really gonna do this again?" Bucky saw that we had gone and found where we were. Another registration post.

"Well, it's a fair. We're gonna try our luck." Steve argued back.

"As who? Steve from Ohio? Or Katherine from Washington DC? They'll catch you. Worse, they'll actually take you."

"Worse?" I added in.

"Look, I know you don't think we can do this-"

"This isn't a back alley, Steve. It's war!"

"Bucky, we know it's war. We see it in the newspapers everyday, who are we to just sit back and do nothing?"

"Why are you so keen to fight? There are so many important jobs."

That was when it descended into chaos. Bucky trying to convince us to do something else. Anything else. Steve was saying about how he didn't want to be another man collecting scrap metal. I was arguing about how I'm impossibly forgetful so how am I going to remember how to make a bomb, I know what I'm good at and that's fighting.

"Bucky, come on! There are men laying down their lives. We got no right to do any less than them. That's what you don't understand. This isn't about me."

"Right. Cause you got nothing to prove." Bucky frowned, he knew Steve so well. We knew that Steve wanted to prove himself, he wanted to do it for himself. Not for others. He wanted to know that he could do it. He wanted to actually help people. "Don't do anything stupid until I get back."

"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you."

"True." I smirked.

"You're two are punks." He walked back towards Steve and hugged him goodbye.

"Jerk." Steve replied before they let go. Then he turned to me. We shared a quick hug, knowing this wasn't our goodbye.

"I'll see you tomorrow." I mumbled, against his ear. I was saying goodbye to him when he was actually leaving, before he went to England. We agreed on it earlier. I was dreading it.

"Be careful." Steve shouted as Bucky walked away. "Don't win the war till I get there!" He saluted to us then started to walk away.

>< >< ><

I was being led down a corridor by two men, my heart pounding in my chest. One of them was an Enlistment Office MP and the other was a strange man in a lab coat. Is it illegal for a girl to apply? I've never thought of that before. Or maybe it's the form, did he find out it was a fake? Oh god, I'm going to jail.

We then walked into a room where I saw Steve. He looked up worriedly, when he saw me he looked a big relieved but the worry was still there. The Enlistment Office MP quietly left. I quickly walked over to Steve, slightly in front of him.

"So, you want to go overseas? Kill some Nazis."

"Excuse me?" Steve replied, shocked. I just watched the man, trying to see if he was here as a friend or not.

"Dr. Abraham Erskine." He walked over and introduced himself to us. "I represent the Strategic Scientific Reserve."

"Steve Rogers."
"Katherine Rogers."