Chapter 8

"What this!?"

"How about this!?"

"Ooh! Ooh! And that!?"

"Can we buy this!?" I held up a random fruit I managed to get infront of me to my annoyed parents. I glanced at it and saw that it looked like a rotten apple embedded with the pained souls of the dead.

...

I placed it back.

And grabbed a ripe version still embedded with pained souls of the dead. I looked at my parents expectantly with sparkles and hearts flying all over the place.

One particular heart hit Dad in the forehead and a tick mark appeared.

"For the last time, Je'hel, you can't delay our travel back by coaxing us to buy things you don't need." He sighed exasperatedly, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"But..."

Mom looked at my crestfallen face. She sighed. "Okay, you know what?" She took the odd fruit from my hands before handing the fruit stall owner money for it and pushed me on the way to the port. "I'll buy this for you then we can go on our way."

I looked at her with my lips trembling. "But I want to stay a little longer." I haven't been able to explore the place much. Heck, we didn't even set foot in Remano so that I could at least take a glance at the colosseum. We just stayed at Reim's port city.

It's all because I've been in Kou for most of my time and hadn't had the leisure to explore. I set foot in Kou's palace just yesterday and practically slept the whole day off and then when I woke up, it was already time to go.

"Je'hel. You know that we went here for business, right? We don't have time for sightseeing." Mom chastised.

I sighed before I nodded in understanding. There really was no use arguing with them. As much as I like defecting here, we have to go back soon as the company may experience a problem that they couldn't handle without my parents. It will only be trouble.

I started walking with my parents behind me. My hand was suddenly engulfed in warmth and I looked to see that it was Mom sighing. She urged me to go faster by tugging at my hand before looking at me with a small smile. "C'mon. Let's hurry to the ship so you can tell me all that you have achieved in magic during our stay."

I brightened. Mom knows I love talking about magic and now she's proposing to listen during our travel back? I hugged her tightly. "Thank you! I have a lot to talk about~"

A hand ruffled my head and I turned to see Dad. "Yes, yes. Save the thank you for later, runt."

I just stuck my tongue out at him but I couldn't keep the smile off of my face for awhile.

---

"Um.. Dad?" I stared infront of me, a smile frozen in place.

"Yes, runt?" He answered as he wrote the things his crew members need to do while we're gone.

I stared at the beaming purple-haired boy infront of me, his smiling Mom beside him. "Why are we here?"

"Hm? To visit. A detour on our way back."

"I see..."

Said beaming kid looked at me expectantly.

...

...

...

I raised my hand, my smile widening. "Yo."