chapter XIV

The Emperor always got his way. And not just from his position in power but because of his strength in manipulation. Most people didn't realize what an impact he had in their daily lives, just by simple mental suggestions.

     So, he carefully planned the story between Luke and Mara. They could destroy each other, and while it would be entertaining, it would also leave him empty handed. Clearly, that wasn't the strategy he was going for, but it was nice to know that it was an always an option. But the better one was to push them closer. Unionize them, secure their positions under his rule. It had been so easy to manipulate Skywalker. He hadn't much training in the force and Mara's beauty was undeniable. Luke was soft; he needed a friend. The pull to her was inevitable.

     Mara, however, was made into something much stronger. A pretty face wouldn't be enough for her to leave her life of solitude. It took more time and effort, but the force bond is what had done her in. She couldn't turn Luke away even if she wanted to now.

     But it still wasn't enough. It was never enough. But that was okay. Palpatine had a plan.

     All it took was a bit of persuasion and a bit of time, both of which he had plenty of. Quiet whispers in the back of Luke's mind drove him to the emperor one fateful day. Luke made his way to the throne, his heart in his throat, his palms sweating, his fingers clenched. Because even as he knew what he had to ask, he couldn't help but question if he was really about to go through with this. And the fear of how Palpatine would react almost made him turn away.

     How was he supposed to know that his desire was Palpatine's creation all along.

     Luke's thoughts raced as he desperately tried to plan out what he would say. Too many words, too many different ways to convey them. How could he share what he was thinking? How could he explain what he wanted? When at last he decided to be blunt about it, he walked up with his head held high and stated, "Master, I wish to marry Mara."

     Silence reigned as the emperor basked in the small but sweet victory. Resting his head back to a more comfortable position, he took his time examining the boy before him. His young face was made of stone, yet his eyes waivered. Cold feet was an awful thing; Luke was surely second guessing a marriage proposal. The reasonable voice in the back of his head was warning him of foolishness.

     Palpatine had no troubles strengthening his resolve.

     "Ah, you do?" He murmured, fingers tapping on the cold arm rest. His voice, whispery and quiet slithered towards Luke, wrapping around him, constricting his mind, bending it to his will. "Yes, a fine match you two have become. Yes... And  when do you plan on this ceremony taking place?"

     Luke hesitated, surprised by Palpatine's light demeanor. Was this acceptance? His blessing? "I'm not sure," Luke admitted slowly. "I... I haven't even asked her yet." His head bowed, more as an act of respect than one of embarrassment.

     "My Sith and my Right Hand..." Palpatine tasted the words on his lips, the sound elating him more than he could have hoped. It had been too long since he's had such fun. "Funny how things work out. But I do not believe it would be wise on my part to allow you to marry."

     His eyes shimmered with mirth as Skywalker's gaze shot up. "Master?"

     "The great use of her serving as my secret hand is that no one else knows she serves as my hand. People will start asking questions once they know you've married her. Who is the aloof Mara Jade?"