Chapter Sixteen: The End of Insincerity

Whee! So you may have noticed that I've been really, really, really unactive on Wattpad lately. It's because I'm just borrowing my sister's laptop (and my sister LOVES the internet, srsly) and I just can't seem to BORROW it for longer than an hour or something.

And I would update on my phone but . . . it's simply not saved there :((

I miss everyone :((

BUT I'M HERE NOW NYEHEHEHE. Anyway, ugh, here's chapter sixteen :D (DON'T GIVE UP ON THIS STORY YET IF I HAVEN'T POSTED FOR SO LONG. PLEASE. IF IT DOESN'T SAY 'ON HOLD' OR 'DISCONTINUED' Y'ALL BETTER WAIT.) (LOVE YOU ALL FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY BLACK HEART.) <3

Chapter Sixteen: The End of Insincerity

To: Catherine Dane [thegreatdane_0709@gmail.com]

CC:

Subject: ARE YOU OKAY???

Dear Catherine,

I’m not sure when (or how) you’ll be able to get this or any type of tech-y communications device but, I saw the news about this HUGE FUCKING BLIZZARD there and, I swear to god, you have to reply to this e-mail ASAP before I lose my mind completely.

Love,

Aaron

Sent from iPhone

-

- Catherine -

I had trouble opening my eyes but I knew I had to; my back hurts like fuck and, it seemed to me that I slept sitting up against the wall. I shifted from under the heavy coats that covered my body completely and, looked to my right – because, as far as I could remember, Gerard never left this basement and, while I’m glad that he’s still completely still and, sleeping, all I could think about is what he had told me last night.

That he wants to hang around because I reminded (remind) him of someone that he loved (loves).

But what if I didn’t look like that Daniela? What if . . . would we still be friends?

Giving out a huge sigh, I turned my head to look at him again, this time, making more of his face in the dim basement.

His head was tilted farther from mine and, he was snoring lightly. His hair didn’t look as ruffled as I thought it would be, his eyebrows were furrowed and, his lips were down in a frown.

I wonder what he’s dreaming of.

Could it be Daniela? Could it be the storm?

(And, I purposely didn’t think that I could be an option so as not to get my hopes up again.)

But, as soon as I caught the tear marks down his cheeks, I knew it wasn’t me he last thought of.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuckthislittlefuckingshit.

I composed myself rather quickly and, sighed once again, my back going up a bit straighter and, a hand automatically came up to nudge Gerard from his sleep.

“Gerard . . . Gerard,” nudge, nudge. So, I’m just a gap-filler, for you, huh? “GERARD!” I finally screamed.

His hand shot up to his ear as he shook violently at the sound of my voice. “What the heck?!” he groaned in distress as his pinky reached in his right ear, probably to get the ringing out of it. “Why’d you have to do that?” he asks.

I smile for good measure, “you were snoring like a grizzly bear in hibernation.”

He looked apprehensive, “really? Uhh . . . sorry about that.”

I grin and, looked away, “it’s fine. Besides, I think . . .” my voice faded and, my eyes looked closely to the view outside, “the snow fall’s starting to calm down.”

“Oh really?” he says in this really eager tone that had my blood pounding. Like he was excited to finally leave this shitty excuse of a hang-out.

(Which, he probably would be glad to leave, by the way. We spent the entire night sleeping in a fucking basement, for God’s sake.)

“Let’s not leave yet,” he manages to let out after he got a god view of the weather outside and, now, it was my turn to be taken aback. “I don’t wanna leave yet,” he continues and, I look down on my lap.

I think I wanna leave. “Do you think it’d be safe to go back up now?” I ask him and, he looks at me worriedly.

“Are you alright?”

Nope. I’m not. “I’m fine,” I mumble and, in time, the sound of my stomach grumbling filled the quiet environment around the two of us.

He grins that stupid boy grin of his, “I don’t think so. Come on, I think it’s safe now.” He stood up and, held out his hand for me to take.

Nope. I am choosing the wall this time. I don’t need you.

“Ouch, that hurt,” he mocked me, placing a hand on his chest. He stood on his feet and, swayed awkwardly as he waited for me to regain balance.

I said that out loud? What the fuck?! I shrugged it off and, motioned towards the stairs to ground level, “let’s go.”

Without turning around, I head towards the stairs.

-

“Are you sure you’re fine?” my sister asked once again as I decided to skip lunch that same afternoon.

I nod my head, “yeah.” Then bolt for the stairs, anticipating the silence of my own bedroom. I couldn’t even look at the family room as I passed by, remembering how Gerard had pointed out the possible danger that that huge glass door posed.

After Gerard and I managed to go up to the kitchen, we immediately heard the doorbell ring and, as if on cue, my sister entered. She was even more sister-ly than usual at Gerard’s presence and, for the first time in weeks, I actually rolled my eyes.

She even asked if Gerard cared for some breakfast but Gerard politely refused, saying that he’s been cooped up with me in the house for far too long (and I had thought that he didn’t want to leave) and, that the other people in Church could be looking for him right at that moment.

My sister let him leave, of course . . . I mean, she just let him when she realized that she wasn’t going to be able to persuade him to stay. I simply had no objections, so he left.

I shut the door behind me and, I plopped down on my bed, face down. I still felt stupid that I actually thought that something different was going on between the two of us; that I was able to push the thoughts of ‘priest Gerard’ from my brain.

I bite my upper lip and, turn around, facing the ceiling. Maybe it’s his fault, you know, for being too friendly to young females like me. But maybe it’s also my fault – for perceiving that his actions were entirely friendly and, normal . . . for people like him, at least.

I repeated the chant that I forgot to continue that day Gerard gave me a tour of the convent:

He’s a priest.

He’s a priest.

He’s a priest.

He’s a mother. Fucking. Priest.

But do you know what scares me? It’s the fact that I don’t care.

I don’t care if he’s committed to the Church. And that scares me.

I love comments, I really do ^.^ Show me DA LOVE <3 <3 <3

xo,

T.