Chapter 2

Disclaimer: I do not own the Harry Potter world, all rights go to J.K Rowling. I do however own my original character Nova Malfoy and her background.

The soft breeze tugged at the soft curls of her dark hair as she sat cross-armed on her bed surrounded in the shattered glass that no one had bothered repairing. Her grey eyes stormed in fury as a darkness swirled in and out. Her father was leaving her to stew; he always knew to leave the girl for at least 48 hours before attempting to reason with her and so he only sent house elves with her meals twice a day – although the royally stubborn witch had refused them. The Malfoy thought that he had always done what was best for his unpredictable daughter, done what was best for her erratic power, but as he sat drunk from their argument, he began to question himself. The darkness that dampened the light in her eyes had shook him to the core and he could even go as far as saying that he feared her more than the Dark Lord himself.

After Nova's accident, life hadn't been easy for The Malfoys and be it obstinate pride or the fear of loss but Lucius and Narcissa had always sheltered the twins, Nova more so. As the brown and blonde haired woman sat across from her husband, she took in the devastation in his cold grey eyes. She reiterated to him that their daughter was not her brother; the woman had always admired her daughter's differences and was always left dumbfounded by her eyes in particular – they held the same pool of grey but where her father's and her brother's froze the hearts of the onlookers, Nova's wrapped them in a blanket of warmth; her eyes were a safe haven from the coldest of winters, a warmth in a frosted world. Narcissa Malfoy had known from the moment she first held her daughter, that the little girl was different - Different from her ancestors, different from her peers and most definitely different from the world in which they lived in – and it terrified her. Differences were a magnet to the Dark Lord, traits he wanted to expunge or power he wished to exploit. And with her natural abilities in Legilimency and Occlumency, Nova Malfoy was a nuclear warhead.

*

The wooden door of her room creaked open and Nova's petulant scowl landed on her father. She watched as he wordlessly entered, repaired her window and sat on the end of her bed. The air between them was, as always, thick with tension. The young witch stared at her father unwaveringly, waiting for him to elicit some form of movement.

"I have spoken to your mother and Albus Dumbledore." He started, "If you still wish to attend Hogwarts with Draco then we will go today. You will have a private sorting ceremony this afternoon and then we will get your things before Diagon Alley is swarming with mudbloods."

"Muggle-borns." Nova spoke lowly as she stared at her father.

"What?"

"Swarming with Muggle-borns, not mudbloods." She spoke again more defiantly, frowning as she sneered the derogatory term.

The youngest Malfoy watched as her father's eyes hardened into a glare and his jaw clenched; she had always known how to push his buttons, intentionally or not: "Get your things. We're going soon."

Nova smiled as he left the room. Despite her discrepancies, her parents were allowing her to attend school with her brother; something she had always yearned for since the day she had dropped him off at the platform for his first year. Her parents were allowing her freedom and it was the greatest gift of all. Slipping on her shoes, she stumbled through the door of Draco's room, startling him as it crashed into the wall but the young witch didn't care, she was being sorted today and she wanted to share it with her brother.

"Only if you apologise to father. I'm not spending the day with you two arguing," Draco stared seriously at his sister, "besides you're just going to anger him again when you aren't put in Slytherin." Although the girl could detect the jest in his tone, her face paled as she remembered her dream. "I'm joking, Nova...He'll just be sorely disappointed." He almost smirked as he left her standing, frowning, in his room.