7. smart children's conversation

"Gracie?" I lifted my head to get a closer view. "What are you doing here, sweetie?"

She sat down on the bed, tucking a hair piece behind my ear. "I just wanted to check up on you."

I sat up and looked at the little girl that resemblance her father way too much. "That wasn't necessary," I smile slightly.

"Apparently not," she mumbled.

"What?"

"What happened when I was away?" She said, her curious beading eyes gazing at me.

"What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean. My dad won't tell me anything because he thinks I'm to little to understand everything," she pouted.

"How is your dad?" I asked carefully.

"He isn't the same. He seems bummed out," and then she looked at me one more time. "Just like you."

"I'm not bummed out," I protested to no luck, my eyes were giving it out.

Gracie sighed. "Lia, you don't need to lie to me. I'm almost six, remember?"

I smiled. "I know. Sit here," I clapped on the empty space next to me. Gracie sat down and leaned her back to the headboard. She leaned little blonde head on my shoulder.

"Before I met you guys, I was engaged," I started out and Gracie widened her blue green eyes at me.

"Like almost married?" She gaped.

"Yes," I laughed at her adorable reaction. "Anyways, I caught my fiancé doing something he shouldn't do so I broke off our engagement."

"No!" She exclaimed. "Don't tell he cheated on you?"

The smile on my face faded just a little bit. "He did," I said.

"Is it that's why you are sad?" She asked.

I shook my head. "Not exactly. A few days ago, your dad and I was here and my ex fiancé came back."

"Oh, drama," Gracie said, her hands on each side of the cheek.

"Yeah," I chuckled. "My fiancé and I got in a fight and your dad was there and it was all just a mess," I shook my head trying to remember what exactly happened.

"Did you and my dad fight?" She asked.

"No, but I haven't talked to him since that day," I finally let out.

Gracie was quiet for a while. "I think he misses you. He seems pretty sad."

When I comprehended her words, I felt a warmth fill my stomach. "Did he send you out here?"

"No, he thinks I am watching cartoons. I was worried about you since you weren't around," she pouted.

"Gracie, that is so sweet of you, but you don't need to worry about me," I smiled and kissed the top of her head.

"This may sound weird, but I like having you around because you make my dad smile and it's been a long time since I have seen him smile so much," she said and this time I met her eyes.

My heart almost stopped in my rib cage. "Really?" I asked surprised.

"Yes," she smiled, her head nuzzling into the crook of my neck. "It feels weird talking about it, but when my mom died, dad was really sad. I was sad too, but people said that she was in a better place now and that she wasn't suffering anymore in heaven so I tried to look on the positive side. I don't remember much from when she was sick and I guess that's okay since I remember her from pictures, beautiful and smiling. Dad was really happy with mom and I want him to be that happy again. A part of me hoped that you were going to be his happiness."

I wiped away a tear that I didn't realize had rolled down my cheek. "Are you sure you are just five?" I smiled through some more tears.

"I'm almost six years old," she corrected me and then hugged me. "I hope you and my dad figure things out because I really like having you around."

"Thank you Gracie."

"Don't thank me, Lia. Thank your aunt Margaret, she was the one who gave me tip," Gracie said after she climbed out of the bed. "I better get going before my dad calls the FBI."

"Wait, what?!" I shook my head as I heard her mention about Aunt Margaret.

"My dad gets really crazy whenever I disappear off like this," Gracie giggled.

"No, I mean about what you said my aunt Margaret.

"Oh, I met her a few days before you came here. She said a pretty girl might come by that will melt your dad's heart, test to see if it's true, if not then you got a new friend. And then she said something about that sounded like math - how to two broken pieces could become together as one."

I star there silent, comprehending every word she just said. Gracie left with a little wave and I heard her little footsteps disappear out the door.

A five year old has been trying to set me up with her father with the help of my aunt?