Martin the Evil Ghost

After Brandi leaves, I decide to take a well-earned nap.

By the time I woke up, it's time for cheer practice. Although cheer practice has been the last thing on my mind, the girls need me. I mean really, seriously need me.

Now don't get me wrong our girls are okay but - they just struggle with a couple of cheers.

I slip into my Soffee shorts, an old cheer shirt, and grab my pom-poms.

"Luke, can you give me a ride to cheer practice? I won't bother you again." I say quickly, holding my breath slightly.

"Of course. It's no problem."

"Thank you so much!" I say and hang up, running to the porch to wait to hear the roar of his engine.

************************

I hop out the car after sputtering out one more thank you and run towards the gym where I see Tara, our captain, and Maria, our co-captain, waiting for me with their arms crossed.

"Look who decided to be a cheerleader today." Maria quips, giving me a sideways glance.

"Look who discovered deodorant." I shot back, with a small smirk.

"Settle down girls. We are supposed to lead by example." Tara says.

We walk in to see the girls stretching, talking, and even some doing homework. When they see us walk in, they stand and rush to their spots and stand in ready position.

"Hello, ladies as you all know, state and regionals are only 2 months away. And while that may seem like a long time, it really is not. We have to work really hard to master this routine and prepare for nationals." Tara says.

"We also will have uniform fittings tomorrow. you must be present or you will not be able to perform." I add.

"If you have any questions, come see me. Otherwise, get in formation." Maria says and walks over to the radio and presses play.

The girls begin their routine and I have to say, the girls have gotten better since the last time I came to practice.

"That was great you guys, but Sydney I need that kick higher. Laura,  please try not to when you catch Bella and Bella try to maintain as much balance as possible. " I call out after they finish.

"You're back one day and you are already putting your two cents in." Maria retorts.

I don't have time to respond because Gabi runs up to me and pulls me away so I can help her practice.

When practice  ends, I begin to feel drowsy. I didn't want to bother Luke again so I decided to walk home.

While I walk down the street, a gleaming, white Hummer pulls over.

"Get in, Mya." 

"No thank you. I'm fine with walking."

"Mya, stop being stubborn."

"I don't want a ride"

"It's getting dark. It's not safe.

"You aren't safe either."

"Say it, Mya. Say what you are thinking."

"Fine. I don't trust you because you killed my brother."

"Mya, I apologized multiple times."

"That doesn't bring him back though, does it?" I say as tears begin to well in my eyes.

"Mya I'm sorry."

"It didn't mean anything before and it doesn't mean anything now."