Chapter 12

Chapter twelve

Aaron Briar

   It’s amazing how your life may seem really simple compared to someone else’s. To you, you may be barely getting by without a scratch, but there will always be someone who is worse off than you. However, no one has the right to berate your story, even if they are, by standards, not doing as well as you are. Even the people who are supposedly happy with everything in their life are dealing with something at one point or the other. Some people are just better at hiding it because other people need them to be strong when they’re not.

But those people could be dealing with things too. They could even be on the verge of toppling over with things they cannot balance.

Sometimes life throws you unimaginable things, but every once in a while you have to realize that there are things to be thankful for. No matter how little the thing(s), everyone has something they can be in gratitude for. Never try telling someone that you have nothing to be grateful about, because they could just turn that around on you. Even if you feel like nothing is going right.

Not everyone is out to get you. It could just be your paranoia kicking you in the butt.

In these situations, you just have to kick it right back.

--------------------------------

   I could already hear her heels clicking through hallway at a steady pace. I knew she was coming in my direction to tell me something “important” by the constant rate at which she was speed walking. I hadn’t done anything wrong recently, so I didn’t really know what she was going to say. It could be about anything. Maybe she even found out about the article in the magazine where I was seen “up close and personal” (according to the magazine) with Julie at the gala. Of course they didn’t know her name so they just referred to her as “mystery girl.” They had even got a couple of shots of me and her in the garden.

It was my mom’s idea to invite them, so I had no control of what they did and did not see that night. They did get some good shots of Jared being stupid though; which then leads me to the fact that he tried to drug Fleur. I’m torn between telling her or not. I looks like she actually likes him. But who am I to determine that? I haven’t had a stable relationship since I was in high school, but even that wasn’t so great.

Just as I heard the clicking stop, I made sure to turn the volume of the T.V up a bit.

“Aaron, your presence is requested at Hemlock corp.” she said easily.

 “By whom?” I turned around to face her, “Oh wait don’t answer that, I think I already know.”

“I could be Jared, or it could be his father, either way, the assistant said to be there by 1pm,” she came closer and stared at my head, “and fix your hair! You look like you’ve been in bed all day!”

“Well actually I’ve been watching cartoons all day,” I turned my attention back to the T.V.

“Get off the couch and get ready! It could be something important! Wear something nice, Aaron,” she swiftly stole the remote from beside me and switched the television off.

I glared at her and sluggishly stood up to take a shower and change. Who does he think he is interrupting my Saturday morning?

If I would have not lost my cellphone the night of the gala, I know he would have tried to call me there and not have his “assistant” call the house.

“Can you tell the maids to keep a look out for my phone?”

“Sure, now hurry up and change.”