Fear, of what's to come

The night was cold and windy and the fog gave this night a mysterious atmosphere. Ghostly voices of all kinds of farm animals were heard. Shane was awoken by those frightening noises, consequently he sat sweaty in the bed. On the one hand he was thankful for the noises that they woke him up because he just had a nightmare, but on the other hand, those noises scared him. After Shanes eyes got used to the darkness that prevailed in the room, he spotted Drew, tossing and turning in his bed. „He's probably having a nightmare too" Shane thought while making the decision to wake Drew up to ask him to accompany him with looking where those noises come from.

Drew was walking around the house, looking for Shane, who told him he was going to do something upstairs and that it would only take a few minutes, but this has been almost 2 hours ago, so he decided to check if everything's alright. A feeling that there was someone that doesn't belong here overcame him and it increased with every stair he took. This feeling was so strong that it was narrowing him down and every step he took made him more nervous. Suddenly he tripped over something, at first he didn't see what he tripped over because he didn't look down and the nervousness made him unable to pay attention. At first, Drew was scared to look down to see what he tripped over, but eventually he did and regretted it right after. A head was on the floor. Just the head, nothing more, the rest of the body wasn't anywhere to be seen. This head had a glance full of fear, the eyes wide opened and the mouth was formed to a scream , a scream that never resounded. Full of fear, Drew looked at the head as his eyes started to form tears. It wasn't just any head, it was Shane's head. Drew wanted to scream, but no sound came, his throat felt like it was laced up. Suddenly the head began to speak...

„Drew! Drew! Wake up!" Shane's nervous voice teared Drew out of this nightmare, now Drew's face was the one full of fear, but gradually he realised that it was just a nightmare. Before Drew could ask why Shane woke him up, Shane took the word and asked „Did you hear that? I can hear animals that can't be here." Drew rolled his eyes „as you should know, we are in a village, of course we're hearing animals, because here are other, still existing, farms around!" Shane replied „But Drew, listen closely, those animals are so loud they can't be from other farms, I'm scared!" „Ok Ok you persuaded me" Drew moaned as he got up. He took a flashlight, that was hidden in the bag, beneath other stuff, as they arrived at the house, out of his drawer, as Shane saw the flashlight he asked "Why didn't you use it as we arrived here?" Drew justified himself "it was in my bag and i couldn't reach it that quickly, also I didn't know that i'm gonna need it, because i thought we wouldn't arrive here in the darkness." Shane smiled at him "I could somehow guess that we'll need a flashlight." Drew laughed and made a joke "Sure Shaney, you're our clairvoyant!" Now both of them were laughing. As they calmed down, Drew and Shane slowly and silently left their room and quietly, to not wake up the others, sneaked out of the house. Right as they stepped out of the door, they heard a dog barking. This barking sounded like it was right in front of them, but there was no dog around. With goose bumps they followed the ghostly animal noises, which lead them to the old stables and were really loud now. At the stables, Drew moved forward, looked into those stables, but right as the light of the flashlight hit the inside of the stables those noises stopped all of a sudden. Frightened by this experience they went back into the house and sneaked into their room, resultingly it took them a while until they were able to fall asleep again.

Kier just woke up in the middle of the night, feeling like something was staring at him, but there wasn't anyone in the room, except for Laurence, who was asleep in the bed next to Kier's bed. Also Kier felt a freezing cold around him, but it couldn't be that cold in the room. Not even the blanket was able to make him feel warmer, Kier was shivering so he got up and wanted to look at the radiator because he assumed that it was turned off, but right as he left his bed, the cold was gone. The rest of the room felt really warm, and the radiator had already been on. Confused, he went back to bed, but there it was again- the cold. „What the fuck is happening here?" Kier said louder than he wanted to, so Laurence woke up and grumbled at him „Kier what the fuck, It's the middle of the night!" Kier complained „It's cold here, but the rest of the room is warm" Laurence started to laugh „Oh well Kier, I knew it, You lost your mind!" Because of Laurence not believing anything, Kier whined „No, I didn't! This house is haunted! That ghost should get out of my bed, I'm freezing!" Annoyed by Kier, Laurence rolled his eyes as he heard the word „haunted" and thought „You forgot your brain as we moved." He said to Kier „If you wake me up again, you will sleep in the barn tomorrow!" Then he rolled over and fell asleep again.

The next morning, it was hard to oversee that Laurence, Kier, Shane and Drew must have had a horrible night. Luke, who was the only one who slept well, asked „So there is this saying that what you dream in the first night in your new house will come true, I don't remember any dream, so has anyone of you dreamt something useful that you can remember?" Suddenly Drew, Shane and Kier turned pale. Drew and Shane stared at each other, Kier stared at Laurence but Laurence just continued looking at Luke. Annoyed by everything, Laurence took the word and said with a cold sounding voice „I don't believe in this rubbish, but I dreamed that i walked around the house and then i suddenly saw Kier's head. But that won't come true unless you continue waking me up in the middle of the night, because then i will tear your head off with my own hands!" With these words Laurence threw Kier a deathly glare. With a glance of fear, Kier told Luke „This is weird, I had a similar dream, I walked around the house and then there suddenly was Laurence's head!" This made Drew and Shane even more scared, Shane whined „And i saw Drew's head!" Next, Drew told about his dream „I was going upstairs and then, i tripped over Shanes's head and his face looked full of fear and then it began to speak and Shane woke me up!" the dreams of the 4 scared Luke „Oh shit, I hope those dreams won't come true!" Nervously, Shane told the others about those ghostly animal voices and the barking dog. Now Shane is the one to suffer under an annoyed Laurence „What are you expecting in a village? Think about it, I'm sure there are farms around!" Shane was afraid of replying. Laurence looked at the others „let's go out, explore the village and get breakfast, I'm hungry and want coffee!" The other 4 thought „Ah! Coffee withdrawal, no wonder he is like that!" They grabbed their jackets and went outside, they decided to walk in order to see more of the village.

An old Lady walked past them, since she never saw them before she asked „are you guys new here?" Politely, Kier smiled at the old lady and answered her question „Yes, we just moved here yesterday! My name is Kier and these are" he pointed at his friends „Laurence, Drew, Shane and Luke." The old Lady smiled „Ah! Nice to meet you, My name is Edith, Edith Atkins, I'm 92 years old and the oldest one of the whole village. Where did you guys move, if you don't mind me asking, i didn't know about any free house here?" Couriously, she asked the guys. Kier answered „In the old farm at the edge of the village" and pointed in the direction where the old farm is. Right as Edith heard "old farm" she stopped smiling and got a concerned glance, she knew everything that has happened there so she said „wanna come inside with me, i live here" She pointed at the house in front of them. „I need to tell you guys something."