The Bet That Broke Me Chapter Twenty Four

. Aiden

I'm not sure what I had in mind when I pictured Ali in a prom dress. She would look good in anything, so I wasn't expecting a lot. Until I pulled up and saw her hugging her aunt and uncle. And when she turned around, she had stolen my breath. She had decided to wear her mom's old prom dress and it fit like it was made just for her and only her.

The dress did hug her body perfectly but you could see in a few spots where it hung a little too loose. At first I had hardly noticed until I took her body in and let my eyes run over the dress. In my eyes Alison would always be perfect; but even a blind person could notice how skinny she had gotten.

After her incident at school I made her promise to take better care of herself, but no matter how hard she tried to pretend I still noticed how little she would eat. It made me furious with how insecure she was. I wanted to ruin anyone who made her feel like she wasn't enough.

Alison spun in circles with Kelsey, both looking like fools compared to the rest of our peers. Absolutely embarrassing but yet me and Eli watched with grins. Ali smiled from ear to ear as Kelsey danced with her.
It made me happy to see her actually living.

"You got to end it." Eli looked away from his girlfriend; his grin shifting into a flat line as he purses his lips and furred his brows.

"I know."

Loud laughter warned us to drop the topic. Eli pushed off the wall and headed towards Kelsey.

Ali turned to me with a smile, "I thought she'd never let go of you." I closed the distance by pulling her into my arms. "I had to send Eli to distract her."

She let out a giggle in response which was absolute heaven on earth.

"I love hearing you laugh Ali." Her eyes softened as she pressed her lips against my own. Initiating a kiss, which she was generally too shy to do. As she pulled back we turned together to look at all the people dancing, including our best friends.

I tilted down to look at her.

"Should we join them?"

"Are you asking me to dance, Aiden Parker?" Her brows knitted.

"Will you dance with me, Alison Kane?" I held out my hand.

"I'd love to." Her body dipped into a curtesy causing me to let out a chuckle, she was so fucking adorable.

"You're eyes are enchanting." Our faces were inches apart.

There was so much I wanted to say. So much she deserved to know.

"You're beautiful in every way," Too beautiful to break. I cut myself off before I said something that would ruin everything.

"Too beautiful for me. I don't deserve you Ali." My Heart was consumed with guilt. Guilt for something that I did. Something so stupid That would ruin everything that I cared about.

"Hey," It Broke me even more when she cupped my jaw and forced me to look at her. Something I had always done when she was upset. Her small gentle hands fit perfectly, "I don't care okay? I don't care. I love you Aiden. Nothing will change that."

She had said it before- that she loved me, but no matter how many times it never felt real. How could someone so small and innocent love someone as awful as me. None of it made sense.

"I mean it." She did her best to reassure me.

Maybe it would never make sense for how a soul as beautiful as her's could love me. Screw any of it making sense. I didn't care because all that mattered was that I loved her too. And not only was she mine, but I was hers.

And I never wanted anything to come between us..

I pulled her hands away from my face and held them between us. "I love you Ali."

And because I loved her I could never tell her the truth. At least not now.

Alison

"We are going to head out!" Kelsey threw her arms around me. "I think I am going to head back to his place." Her words came out in a whisper.

I pulled her tighter, "Be safe." She pulled back and gave a quick kiss to my forehead.

"You too, honey." She shot a sly wink before leaving. Eli pulled her eagerly towards the door and she followed, just as eager. This wasn't their first time yet they still acted like it was.

"You ready?" I turned back to Aiden who stood waiting for me.

"Yeah." We interlocked hands. Ahead of us Kelsey jumped on Eli's back as he carried her and her heels to his car.

"Aiden?"

"Yeah?"

My heart sped up, "Let's go back to your place."

There wasn't an immediate agreement but he didn't attest either. Instead he gripped my hand and asked if I was sure. Sitting beside him, I made the decision that I might never be ready because of how I felt towards myself; but with him- I wanted to be with him in every way possible. He made me feel alive. Aiden was my rock.

I trusted him.

Our ride was silent other than the quiet songs playing softly on his stereo. As usual, his house was empty but it felt nice. We had the place for ourselves. He walked me inside and instead of heading straight to the bedroom he lead us to the living room where we just sat and enjoyed each other's presence.

"You don't have to do anything you aren't ready for, Ali." His hands rested on my hips.

"I mean it, Alison." Before he could change my mind I tangled my hands in his hair and pulled him into a rough kiss.

"Shut up and kiss me Parker." Listening to my commands he pulled my body his, hard. Every inch of my body tingled as his hands explored me. As his tongue and lips drifted over every inch of bare skin. The butterflies had shape-shifted into fireflies that burned with actual fire. He found a spot on my neck that made me tug on his hair as his hands worked to unzip my dress.

Wanting to see all of him, I ran my hands down to his shirt; popping each button open. My stomach dropped as my dress hit the floor. My biggest insecurity was on show for the person I trusted most in the world. I was completely vulnerable.

And he embraced me with adoration and love.
••••••